janine is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Need help kick starting something

So no excuses, but I am a WOHM with a commute of 1.30 minutes each way, so there is little down time. Weekends are errand filled (kid classes, laundry, grocery shopping). My job is the worst possible for health (as is my commute), there is little time away from the desk including lunch, and commute is car to train. I'm over 40, 2 kids later and do zero exercise. My diet is on the go, so that is pretty much the worst option. Now I've always been skinny so was taking my natural metabolism for granted and yup now it's payback time. So what can I do to kick start, I am very low activity, not flexible, not athletic so whatever it is needs to be somewhat achievable. So this is what I've got as some options: 1) join a gym near work and go 2-3x a week during lunch. 2) Join "Bar Method" in town for a month (however nervous if I can keep up). 3) Join Weight Watchers on line. 4) Start running on weekends

All of above would be in combination with cutting back on carbs and sugar/snacking but I'm admitting, I am awful at this so that's why I want to start with cutting back vs. going cold turkey. Need to do something to stop the pound creep which has been alarming lately.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would join a gym close to work. Maybe on WW. I don't think Bar is going to be enough. You also likely have to rely on your schedules meshing and it'd be all too easy to just not go.
    Can you get a standing desk or something else that will keep you less sedentary at work?

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I would join a gym close to work. Maybe on WW. I don't think Bar is going to be enough. You also likely have to rely on your schedules meshing and it'd be all too easy to just not go.
    Can you get a standing desk or something else that will keep you less sedentary at work?
    Thanks, I think you're right. Yea no standing desks around here, we are all in the same boat. The worst part is no movement even to get lunch (other than walk to the kitchen on the floor), so gym at lunch forces me. Although means shower and all that, and the fact that it'll be NYC prices but gotta do something.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I also WOH full time, am 40, have 2 kids, have crazy after school schedules. I have found that exercising close to work BEFORE the work day is most successful. My supervisor has agreed to me starting my day 30min later in exchange for a working lunch. This way I don't have to get to work any earlier than I already did (too hard with kids being dropped off at the before school babysitter) and I can get a quick workout in before the day derails. Now that the weather is more consistently nice (not sub-zero and snowing!) I will change it up and go for a run during lunch instead of the morning workout. But sometimes I get a phone call, a drop in office visit, or a meeting that pops up that blows up that plan and then I'm mad that I didn't get a workout in. So, again, the before work time works best for being consistent. I do also run on Sat and Sun morning while the kids are watching their 30min of cartoons.

For food being on the go, can you commit to changing what you eat for one meal a day? I never have time for breakfast at home on a work day so I make sure I have easy things to grab and take with me to eat during my commute or immediately after my a.m. workout. Cheese stick, hard boiled egg, greek yogurt, handful of nuts, a few slices of lunchmeat, larabar, etc are all things I try to keep on hand and then throw 2 or 3 into my work bag and head out the door.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Unfortunately I am on a 6am train as it is, so can't get in any earlier. I could work out before work and get in later, but that would be a no go unless I stayed later and then would not see the kids. So the lunch work out is the only flex period for me during the work week (other than after work but I now my motivation level is close to 0 at that point!).

Thanks for the "food on the go" suggestions. I can definitely change up things if it's something I can prep night before and then grab and take. Right now that has been granola bars and so far does not seem to be a good thing!

Have the changes you've made helped?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

So many companies are into health nowadays, I bet you could lobby someone for some healthy desk initiatives. . Even taking in a ball to sit on could be good.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by janine View Post
    Unfortunately I am on a 6am train as it is, so can't get in any earlier. I could work out before work and get in later, but that would be a no go unless I stayed later and then would not see the kids. So the lunch work out is the only flex period for me during the work week (other than after work but I now my motivation level is close to 0 at that point!).

Thanks for the "food on the go" suggestions. I can definitely change up things if it's something I can prep night before and then grab and take. Right now that has been granola bars and so far does not seem to be a good thing!

Have the changes you've made helped?
    They have. I started running almost a year ago and posted here back in the fall that I was frustrated I wasn't seeing improvement. I kicked up the # of days at the gym from 3-4 to 4-5 plus runs on the weekend (2-4 mi run each). The higher protein breakfast keeps me full till lunch and is easy enough that it keeps me from either skipping it all together or grabbing junk.

Another thing you can try is the 7 min workout (there's a variety of apps for it). It gets your heart rate up, gives you some strength and toning exercises and the whole thing is done in 7 mins. That isn't going to be the total solution, but it could be a good starting point OR useful on a day you just can't fit anything else in.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I would target going for a walk for an hour every day. Log in MFP -- even for a few days to see how you are eating (it was shocking for me). Could you find a buddy at work to walk with you? I think walking is a good on ramp to exercise if you are going from nothing. I also think targeting 5x a day for a WALK is a great goal.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

mmommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I find that I need a class at the gym, otherwise I don't work out hard enough. I'd do the lunchtime plan, but make sure there are classes to go to and/or hire a personal trainer for a few sessions to come up with routines for you. Generally lifting free weights is really effective in building muscle and kickstarting metabolism, you just need to make sure you're lifting them correctly so you don't injure yourself, so the trainer is a must.

I'm in a similar situation as you with the lengthy commute and numerous responsibilities leaving little to no time to exercise- I'm still trying to figure it out! However, I have managed to lose 10 lbs over the past 5 months by modifying what I eat and it's been relatively painless. I basically put together all the ingredients for a smoothie the night before, blend it in the morning and have that for breakfast- that along with coffee (don't add sugar anymore, just half and half) tends to keep me going till lunch (I may eat a banana or something in the mid-morning if I'm feeling particularly hungry). My smoothie usually consists of a banana, frozen fruit, milk or almond milk, greek yogurt, a scoop of protein powder and a scoop of fiber powder. Lunch is sadly some type of Lean Cuisine microwaveable deal, and then dinner is usually something on the lower carb/no carb side (DH is the cook in our family so I eat whatever he makes). My problem is snacking between lunch and dinner, as well as after dinner when the kids are down for the night and I'm frantically trying to finish up the work I've brought home. When I can keep the chocolate and other sugary snacks to a minimum, the pounds come off pretty quickly.

I'm planning to start doing a quick walk in the morning before DH leaves for work once my school year ends. Won't be much at first, but I figure it's better than nothing!