Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default I hate feeling guilty over MIL issues!

My MIL and I have not been close since we had a falling out almost 2 years ago. I'm trying, but it feels fake from both of us. In any case, I keep forgetting to tell her about things that are going on in DDs' lives and of course it makes me feel guilty. I'm super close with my mom so I tell her about these things as soon as I know but always forget to tell MIL. And of course DH doesn't say anything. This time it was DDs' end of year picnic at school and DD1's pre-k graduation ceremony. MIL told me that if I had mentioned them sooner she would be able to go but now has work meetings she cannot change. Ugh. I feel guilty and I really shouldn't! I don't talk to her that much, DH talks to her multiple times a day because they work together. Can't he say something???

Why would a grandparent go to a school picnic anyway? Don't feel guilty! Let it be DH's problem. Seriously, who has time to manage another adult's calendar? Let it go, mama! No guilt!

JCat is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Totally your DH job to remind her at this point!

Agree - not your job. Great if you remember but your DH should be filling your MIL on what is happening or she should be in contact with you regularly if he is not dependable to find out about events.

She should be railing on your DH for not mentioning - work together and can't inform her of events?? Blows my mind.

Or make a calendar and email it?

Either way - not your problem or responsibility.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Grandparents don't go to end of year picnics here so no worries. But if your husband talks to her he should help keep her in the loop.

Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Um, I have a good relationship with my MIL, and still, it's my DH's job to keep his parents informed about anything to do w/ our family -- I talk to mine, he talks to his. NO reason for you to feel guilty at all!!!!
    Lizi

If you forgot to tell her about grandparent's day, you could feel a tiny bit of guilt (although ultimately still DH's responsibility). But an end of year picnic? Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    Um, I have a good relationship with my MIL, and still, it's my DH's job to keep his parents informed about anything to do w/ our family -- I talk to mine, he talks to his. NO reason for you to feel guilty at all!!!!
    That except scratch the 'good relationship with my mil', she just met DS2 (2.5 years old) in May. DH's family found out-his mom included- that I was pregnant when I posted it on FB at 23 weeks. (My family has known since I was like 6 wks pregnant.) Not my problem, I don't feel bad about it. You shouldn't either!
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Don't feel guilty. Whatever falling out you had 2 yrs ago, she obviously played her part in it. It's not your job to coddle or be Mil's info source. In fact I tell my mil as little as possible, otherwise she meddles. Your dh can deal with his mom... Why should you have to do it? Does he feel responsible for telling your parents everything? Probably not. Don't own guilt that isn't yours.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Convenient that it is YOUR fault. Doesn't her phone work? Can't she call once a month or so and ask what's up? Or heaven forbid!!!! Ask her son. Shocking.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast