Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Wow! I can't believe she did that! Look, that's why they're called accidents. Drivers misjudge and make mistakes all the time. Sure, some people are doing dumb stuff like talking on the phone, but many aren't. I ran a red-light the other day. Can't believe I just didn't see it and flew right through. Thank goodness no one was coming. It happens.

erv917 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Percycat View Post
    This post is wonderfully appropriate. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by newnana View Post
    After my first accident, which was completely my fault, I was a basket case. I was 20 something and shaken. I learned a huge lesson from one of the ladies that I hit. She took me over to the side of the road to get out of traffic, said, "honey, it's called an 'accident' not an 'on-purpose.'" Nobody was hurt, thankfully nobody was mad. I was shocked. It very much made an impression on me. We all make mistakes. In this case you got lucky and nothing happened. So did she. If you had pulled out in front of this truck on purpose, that would have been reckless and irresponsible and all those other things. But that wasn't your intent. She had no way of knowing your intent.

Even if she did, she was in the wrong. You handled this with way more grace than she did (or I would have). If we all treated each other with more forgiveness and kindness the world would be a much better place. She's just lucky that it was you that followed to berate rather than some crazy that would have hurt her.
    Thanks so much for taking the time to post your reply, it was really thoughtful and what I needed to hear! I think what you said about her having no way of knowing my intent hit the nail on the head, and was exactly what got to me. I have no idea why she made the leap from "this person made a mistake" to "this person is a horrible driver/parent/human being," but thanks for the reminder that her faulty logic is about her, not me!

JCat is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Jees!!! After you apologized she stayed crazy? That should have been the end of it. You were very nice. Other people do not exist to be her punching bag!

Giantbear is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Her actions and your actions are separate actions. In other words, your misjudgment in the car does not excuse her wrong and probably illegal actions. What she did, in NY at least, would constitute harassment at the least and road rage at its most. Chances are there is something in her past that seeing what happened hit a nerve in her, but it does not excuse her actions. If it were me, i would have told her to f-off and mind her own business.

90% of how people react in these situations is not about 'you' but is really about them

As for your actions, drive enough and you will have a bunch of close calls, some your fault and some the other drivers. I drive 25k miles a year, trust me, it happens to everyone. Take it as a wake up call to being attentive and move on with your life.
    Proud father of dd 5-30-10

Hugs! She is ridiculous and clearly has too much time on her hands to berate you for a mistake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

She is so, so, so lucky it was you she confronted. In this day and age that sort of nutty behavior? she could have gotten herself shot.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMolly View Post
    She is so, so, so lucky it was you she confronted. In this day and age that sort of nutty behavior? she could have gotten herself shot.
    That's what I thought too! I wouldn't have gone up to a stranger behaving like that, just borrowing trouble that way, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have had someone come up to me like that and it was an experience I will never forget. It wasn't anything to do with driving but the person came after me and would not let up. It left me very shaken and so confused because I had no idea where her anger was coming from. I honestly believe that this person had some mental health issues because the words coming out of her mouth and level of anger were disproportionate to what she perceived was the problem. Big hugs to you.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I had that happen once and it was awful. The guy even told me he was a cop as he was shouting at me in front of my 2yo. Had I known where he was a cop, I'd have sent the department a letter about his behavior and anger issues.
    Feel better, OP!

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

if she had hit the truck in front of her, SHE would have been at fault. You're supposed to leave enough room between vehicles for situations like this.

I dont care if you were applying lipstick and talking on your cell when it happened. No one has the right to follow you and then proceed to scream at you for an 'almost' accident. ESPECIALLY since she wasn't even the one who "almost" hit you!!

IMO the only person who has NEVER had an "almost" accident is someone who has never driven. You have your total freakout thinking about what almost happened and then move on and try not to repeat the event.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2