♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default the joys of moving..

So the past few weeks have been rather hectic/insane to say the least. In preparation to get our house ready for sale (while our new house is completed) we moved out into an apartment 2 weeks ago. Packing and moving our stuff was stressful enough as it is...but then just we were getting used to things, the sh*t really hit the fan this week.

Tuesday I took the day off to help DH pack at home and deal with contractors coming through, etc. Handyman is supposed to show up at 8am, never does. We call, and turns out the receptionist forgot to book us and alas, no one is available that day. So I had to request to take another day off this week (Thursday) to be around to help. Whatever.

Then found out our roof (according to our neighbor's roofer) has hail damage. Waiting to see if insurance will cover it. Even if it does, all contractors are super backed up bc of the crazy-ass rain we've been having..and say they won't get to do it until end of June at the earliest. We had been hoping to list our house by this weekend, but then now we're looking at possibly not being able to list until July bc of the roof situation.

Then the kids' school calls...both kids have lice. UGH. Luckily we know exactly how to deal (and DD's hair shorter this time around) but still a royal pain, esp in an apartment where the dryer is not the best.

And then today...our builder of our new house proposes a closing date of August 21st (we had been told initially end of July). EEK. Our apartment lease is over on August 5 (it's only a 3 month lease), so we need to figure out what the heck to do for those 2 weeks. Even if we are able to extend our lease an extra month...DS will start Kindergarten in our new district on August 24th. So much for getting settled in before my sensitive kiddo has his first day of school.

I usually rely on running/exercise to relieve stress, but have had NO time to exercise or really cook anything, plus tons of eating out due to moving. I looked up one site about managing stress and i wanted to scream when it says to "make sure you get plenty of sleep, get 1 hour of exercise every day, and eat healthy, balanced meals." Um yeah, bc that is just SO easy to do...LOL!!

Anyway, I know none of these things are big deal in the grand scheme of things but it's so hard to concentrate on work right now with everything else going on. I have a work deadline coming up mid-June and don't even know how i'm going to manage with everything that is going on. DH has already been doing a TON and handling 80% of the stuff at home (he teaches and has a much lighter load in the summer), but even as it is, it is still so hard!

thanks for letting me vent and kudos to anybody who has read this far. the only thing keeping me going right now is the promise that in 2 months (well maybe more like 3 now) it will all be over...we will have sold our house, be in our new house and i will have a short 10 minute commute to work (a dream, a dream really..as my commute sucks now). Until then, it's mouse-in-a-wheel time...
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 06-05-2015 at 05:50 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yikes. That's a lot.
    Can you still list the house and offer a repair credit to potential buyers?

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Yikes. That's a lot.
    Thanks for the reply. not sure on the roof thing. according to the roof guy, the entire roof needs to be replaced, so no small thing and would take at least a day to fix. it seems like it will be better to get it fixed before listing (so we can say it has new roof, etc) but will talk to our realtor in a week or so. she mentioned we can fill out prelisting info and get a coming soon sign in the coming weeks so at least it's something..

i had no idea getting a house ready for sale would be so stressful. our realtor mentioned that in our area for any house over $300k to sell quickly it has to be completely staged, totally perfect. A foreclosure house in our neighborhood with a HUGE backyard (double most lots) was totally listed for a great price and it is just sitting there, as the yard is covered in weeds. Around here it is insane how well-staged things have to be.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 06-05-2015 at 09:56 PM.

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Yikes. That's a lot.
    I think you can still list the house with the listing showing that there will be a new roof prior to closing.

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    I think you can still list the house with the listing showing that there will be a new roof prior to closing.
    thanks, i think this might be what we end up doing. i forgot to mention earlier that we had a few other things to get fixed that were delayed as well (tomorrow the house will be painted, then next week sometime we have to get a bare patch in our yard fixed). Hoping by next weekend our realtor can come to take photos for the listing and by then we will know more of the roof situation (whether the ins. covers it)

but i just cannot wait until this is all over!! the apartment we're in is actually nice (i kind of like living in a small space!!), but the dishwasher is not great and is LOUD so we never use it...and the kitchen is small so it makes cooking meals even more of a pain.