Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Where to go in March?

Looking for some ideas for a cool, maybe slightly exotic vacation in March. Duration about 10-14 days. We are hoping to avoid the Caribbean, Mexico and Hawaii because we've been to those places pretty recently - but those seem to be the most popular destinations in March.

Some ideas we're considering are Africa, Egypt, Greece, Peru, Cambodia (Angkor Wat), Fiji, Portugal/Azores, southern Italy, Iceland. We like more active sightseeing like hiking, biking, zip lining, jeep tours etc. and DS has expressed interest in seeing old ruins.

We're kind of going around in circles trying to narrow down our choices - and I'm cross eyed from reading Trip Advisor forums about all these places.

Anyone have a favorite vacation to recommend?
    DS age 9

Belize and Guatemala would check all your boxes. There are many adventures to be had in Belize and the Mayan ruins in Guatemala.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We did a Belize trip + Guatemala. PM if you have any qs.

I love Portugal. I think it is so overlooked in Europe which is a shame because it is amazing. I lived in Lisbon for a summer and would love to go back. Southern Portugal, the Algarve, is beautiful.

I also think you can't go wrong with Italy. The area around Positano and Isle of Capri is my favorite.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

In March, Southeast Asia is a great choice. Not too hot and dry then. You could combine a couple of stops with your timeframe. Do Cambodia and Vietnam or go through Thailand (do a mix of up north and a beach down south). You'd could easily get a nice mix of seeing ruins/cultural stuff and a beach vacation there.

We go to Portugal quite often and if it was my only time heading there I'm not sure I'd choose March. A bit later in spring or early summer are better times to go there IMO. That's assuming you want a beach component - if you are just sightseeing and hiking, March is great.

I have Peru on my short list. If you end up there, please report back here!

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Been to nowhere that would address any of this, but I wanted to point out an amazing place I must visit before I die called Giraffe Manor in Kenya. I can't watch the promo video it makes me weepy. Not sure why, it just does. But the reviews are stellar. $$$$$. But worth it I'd think.

We went to Costa Rica in 2013, and we were NOT disappointed. Just a warning, nothing ever dries there. Never. Ever. We were damp or all out wet 24/7. But it was a hell of a trip.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.