Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Scientific studies about elective inductions?

Help please! At my appointment yesterday, my OB brought up the idea of an entirely elective, convenience-based induction, prior to 40 weeks (probably 39w5d). I'm very against a non-medically necessary induction. I won't fight induction if I'm 42 weeks or probably even 41 weeks....but it seems totally unnecessary and inappropriate to do one prior to even hitting my due date. My OB offered the option, but is in no way pressuring me -- he said he's also totally supportive if I want to just wait it out, so I don't feel pressured from him or anything.

BUT -- DH is another matter. DH can't understand why I don't want to induce early. He sees me uncomfortable now (at 36 weeks), and doesn't understand why I'd choose to stay pregnant longer. Because we also have logistics with our family (no one lives near us) and his work schedule that are made more challenging (but not impossible) by an unknown date (waiting until I just go into labor on my own), he is super pro-scheduled induction.

DH is also a physician (that has ZERO to do w/ anything related to OB), and on medical issues doesn't really accept anything I say unless I have solid peer-reviewed journal articles, etc. to support my points. Right now, he just feels like I am against induction because I've read non-scientific opinions, and believed them.

I tend to just believe that the baby will come when the baby is ready to be born, and rushing it along isn't advisable because lack of labor tends to indicate baby will benefit from a little more time on the inside. I think I've also heard babies who are not induced have a slightly better breastfeeding rate (which is super important to me). I'm also concerned about potential higher need for c-section or longer labor w/ induction. But truly, DH is right that I don't have any true scientific info to support my desire against induction. Ultimately, I know he'll respect my choice and it's not like he's going to try to force me to induce or anything (and obviously, baby might come earlier on her own, anyway) -- but I'd like to give him some data to back up my feelings, if it exists.

So -- anyone know any good resources/scientific peer-reviewed studies that support choosing NOT to electively induce (health of baby or mother)? I know I've read several articles recently about how hospitals are trying to reduce/set rules around elective c-sections and inductions, but those aren't peer-reviewed studies....

Thank you!
    Lizi

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Hmm. Back in the day, Henci Goer's Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth had a lot of studies cited. I'm trying to remember some newer authors that would have more up to date studies. I'll update if I find them.

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

http://evidencebasedbirth.com/eviden...your-due-date/

Honestly though (and I'm speaking as an OB professional here) you should not need a reason to refuse an elective induction. They hurt, they can cause cascades of unnecessary interventions, pitocin use increases the chances of fetal distress, c-section, hemorrhage, and other unpleasantness. Also, has your OB evaluated your Bishop's score? If your cervix and your baby aren't ready, you're just setting yourself up for unnecessary surgery. Sounds like your husband needs to evaluate why he's in such a rush. Natural labor is so much safer and more pleasant that they really should not be ranked against such inanities as work schedules and male preferences. It should be entirely about yours and the baby's health and minimizing unnecessary interventions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I found this http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1595289/

and http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-proc...s/prc-20019032 (I know it's not as scientific as you want)

and then i found this, which is just devil's advocate http://health.usnews.com/health-news...on-study-finds
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post
    http://evidencebasedbirth.com/eviden...your-due-date/

Honestly though (and I'm speaking as an OB professional here) you should not need a reason to refuse an elective induction. They hurt, they can cause cascades of unnecessary interventions, pitocin use increases the chances of fetal distress, c-section, hemorrhage, and other unpleasantness. Also, has your OB evaluated your Bishop's score? If your cervix and your baby aren't ready, you're just setting yourself up for unnecessary surgery. Sounds like your husband needs to evaluate why he's in such a rush. Natural labor is so much safer and more pleasant that they really should not be ranked against such inanities as work schedules and male preferences. It should be entirely about yours and the baby's health and minimizing unnecessary interventions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This site has a ton of info, thank you! OB hasn't checked yet, and did say that he wouldn't induce if the cervix isn't right -- but given that I don't want to be induced regardless (at least not prior to due date) I'm pretty sure I'm going to decline the check at my next appointment anyways. I know DH won't pressure me to do an induction, but I just wish there was a ton more very clear evidence that supported my point of view so that he'd be really supportive of not inducing, vs. just going along w/ what I insist on.
    Lizi