Thread: Leapfrog items?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Leapfrog items?

I think we are ready to bite the bullet and get some kind of leappad/reader/computer type thing for Mopey - but which one??? She hasn't had anything like the reader or the little personal "computer" at all.....she's working on her letters a lot and loves reading but I think we need something on the more grownup side....Caving as I need her more occupied as I get more pregnant and once the baby arrives. She is just over three.

Would love love love some advice and/or recommendations please! TIA!!!
    Mom to Miss Mopey! 3/12 & Baby Boy GoGo! 7/15

"Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

I would get a Kid's Kindle. Many more inexpensive options for games.

I would recommended an iPad. My parents bought DS the first generation LeapPad when he was about two and it was too hard for him. Later on I bought more apps and games but its still harder for him to use and more expensive than an iPad. The iPad is just intuitive and easy and he could use that by himself. DH has a Kindle Fire and I have no idea how to use it! I love my regular Kindle and all things Amazon but it's just not intuitive. I wanted to love it for the Kids Unlimited but it's just hard to figure out. I traded my first generation iPad in for a mini which is the perfect size for DS. It's a life saver for road trips and when we've been out of town in one hotel room I can give it to DS with ear phones and he's quiet while DD naps. There are a lot of fun easy apps and books that your DD will be able to use by herself and it will probably get you the most longevity.

Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

That is all a lot more than I would spend right now so I think we will get a sturdier case for our (lightweight) iPad and download more goodies for her in the meantime. Thanks and I'll remember the rec!!
    Mom to Miss Mopey! 3/12 & Baby Boy GoGo! 7/15

"Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mopey View Post
    That is all a lot more than I would spend right now so I think we will get a sturdier case for our (lightweight) iPad and download more goodies for her in the meantime. Thanks and I'll remember the rec!!
    This is what I recommend (And what I did with the second child) The Leapster got a LOT of use. bUt after we got our first tablet, the Leappad got NO use therafter. Both children would rather play on the tablet. DS also has the Nintendo DS that he takes on (for example,) 3 week trips to the grandparents when we aren't around -- the tablets belong to the parents, not the kiddos. But other than that they just use our equipment.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd go with iPad route as well. My DS got a leap pad when he was 3. He used it some, but then I got my iPad, and he didn't want his leap pad anymore. My youngest has never used the leap pad, but started using the iPad when he was 2 as part of his OT therapy. We gave my older DS my iPad, when I upgraded to the mini, and then we bought my younger DS a refurbished iPad on eBay. It was less than $200 and works like new. My DH says it was the best $200 he has ever spent. lol. We did get heavy duty cases for them. We got cases by gumdrop, and they have withstood all sorts of abuse, and the iPad's look brand new still.