Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Two questions - big baby and late c-section?

So I found out this morning I am measuring at almost 37 weeks despite being just 34 weeks! (I knew this was an ungainly baby! It's been comical!) The doc is sending me for another growth scan just to check on everything. Is there anything I should know about having a possibly bigger baby?

Also, I found out the message was not received about scheduling my follow-up c section and so I am booked for a 2pm surgery. Is that crazy? Have any of you had a late in the day C? Nothing else is available that works (for different reasons) so we are just going to go for it but I'm a little nervous about only having a bit of water for over 12 hours.....Any tips or btdt?

TIA
    Mom to Miss Mopey! 3/12 & Baby Boy GoGo! 7/15

"Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

My ob always schedules my c-sections for first of the day (ugh last time we had to be at the hospital by 6 am, this time at least it's not till 8.) I think 2 will be okay, I mean obviously not ideal because that is a long time to go without eating but sounds like it is what it is.

Ultrasounds get less accurate and higher margin of error the bigger the baby gets so I wouldn't worry about size. Ds1 was measuring about 3 wks ahead, he was born at 36w1d and was 7lbs 4 oz. To this day he is 98%ile for height and easily got mistaken for a kindergartener even when he was 3.
    Last edited by AngB; 06-18-2015 at 03:22 PM.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Eh. I wouldn't worry about the measurement. Any gestational diabetes?
    I certainly wouldn't change the delivery date based on it.
    Ds2 was 9lb9oz. Granted, he came at almost 42 weeks. . But, ds1 was 8lb5oz and a 42 weeker too. Truly, give me a bigger baby any day! I feel like they're a bit sturdier.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My first c section was scheduled for noon, but there were emergencies and I got bumped closer to 2. My second I was sent to L&D after a not so good NST and showing signs of pre eclampsia, and by the time everything was said and done, that c section was mid afternoon (the day was a total blur so I don't recall the exact time)., and I was an emergency that bumped back someone else.

I wouldn't worry about the time. It will all be okay!

Both boys were delivered by c section. Ds1 via an emergency section after being in labor for 30 hours because his head and shoulders was too big for my narrow pelvic. At that time, I had growth scan measuring him to be 39 weeks at time of my section around 41 weeks. So talk about wildly way off!

Take those growth scans with big grain of salt.

I can't say anything for 2pm surgery, as my emergency ended up around 6am anyway. Second planned one was first in the morning.

Ask nurse if you can drink more water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

I measured ahead like that with one of mine, but she was positioned strangely. A few weeks later I measured right on, I think because she had moved down and straightened out. When she finally made her appearance at 41w3d, she was just over 7lb but 22.5" long! Maybe you're having a tall kid too?
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

They estimated DS to be 8lbs at 36 weeks. He was 7lbs 6oz when he came out at 37w5d.
    I had 5 c-section dates/times scheduled with DS. The worst was the one that was scheduled for 4:00 and didn't get cancelled until 1:00. I was sitting in the car waiting for everyone else to eat at Five Guys when I got the call saying that DS had flunked his amnio again and we needed to go home instead of to the hospital. You have never seen a 37 week pregnant lady so happy to eat french fries! It wasn't pleasant, but I survived.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Two questions - big baby and late c-section?

Oldest DC was scheduled c (breech) @39w0d. I then had 2 VBACS, both at 40w4d (coincidence) 9lb and 9lb 9oz. Last was definitely a surprise because girl and I was measuring on time the whole time. Based on how much chiller and better nursers my later gestation babies are I would not want to schedule a delivery for less than 40w unless I absolutely had too - I think my babies are happier very well done. YMMV, of course, depending on why you're doing repeat c!

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

See if you can speak with the anesthesia provider directly and discuss your intake restrictions. (Or someone from their group. They may not know yet who the exact provider will be.)
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

No experience with C-sections, but with regards to growth scans, they just aren't accurate. I had repeated scans of a "big" baby with DS. They repeatedly estimated around 9 lbs. I was not particularly large either, as I had lost weight with him, rather than gaining. When he was born at some point past 41 weeks (and induced due to said "bigness") he weighed in at a whopping 7 lbs. 14 oz. But he was in a more transverse position for all of those scans, so I think there may be something to positioning causing a lack of accuracy.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast