Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My 4.5 DD really enjoyed Wizard of Oz (the original) when DH read it to her. He read her a few excerpt from the Hobbit as well, but she lost interest and wanted something else. Right now he is reading some story called Momo to her. It's in German, so they only go through a page or two every night because he has to look up word in the dictionary and translate after each sentence. It's a little frustrating because I don't know any German so when he isn't home I can't continue the story.
    Mother to DD 10/2010

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

wind in the willows
    james and the giant peach
    greek myth stories are big hits here
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/044...d_i=9660210011

Mr poppers penguins
    where the sidewalk ends (poems)
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

Gail Carson Levine's fairy books (the titles escape me. I think one is something like The Quest for the Egg?)
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

Just about anything by Roald Dahl
    Charlotte’s Web
    The Little Prince
    The Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton

My middle two are that age! Here's what we're reading to them right now.

Betsy-Tacy (the first four books in the series, after that, they get to high school, which is not as interesting for those ages) by Maud Hart Lovelace--these definitely are girlie
    The Moffats series and the Pye books by Eleanor Estes
    B is for Betsy books by Carolyn Haywood
    Boxcar Children series (just the original 19 by Gertrude C. Warner)--my 6 year old DD LOVES these, but 4 year old is not quite as into them

At that age DS also loved The 21 Balloons William Pene du Bois and the Paddington Bear books by Michael Bond (great for nighttime reading because each chapter is basically its own little short story)
    Sharing advice/encouragement for homeschoolers at Homeschooling for Normal People

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The Boxcar Children (I've read only the first one, but there is a series. The first book can stand alone.)
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

The Ivy and Bean Series is great! We read a chapter every night.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Mine's 5 and we're doing one chapter of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz per night.

I've got plans to do Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass next, followed by either Peter Pan or The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, depending on what I feel like reading. I'm also looking at Anne of Green Gables and The Secret Garden, but I'll have to re-buy Anne.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Mine's 5 and we're doing one chapter of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz per night.

I've got plans to do Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass next, followed by either Peter Pan or The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, depending on what I feel like reading. I'm also looking at Anne of Green Gables and The Secret Garden, but I'll have to re-buy Anne.
    Just be aware that the vocabulary in Anne of Green Gables is very advanced. Even for my guy, who has a spectacular vocabulary, it was clear when I started reading it to him at age 5 that it was beyond him. It might be time to try again. He did fine with C.S. Lewis, Enid Blyton, and E.B. White. We also read the first three Harry Potter books aloud. I think it's time for Frances Hodgson Burnett.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    Just be aware that the vocabulary in Anne of Green Gables is very advanced. Even for my guy, who has a spectacular vocabulary, it was clear when I started reading it to him at age 5 that it was beyond him. It might be time to try again. He did fine with C.S. Lewis, Enid Blyton, and E.B. White. We also read the first three Harry Potter books aloud. I think it's time for Frances Hodgson Burnett.
    I've been a fan of the Anne books since I was about 8; I know what the vocab is like, so it's actually beneficial that I don't currently own a copy (I handed mine down to my cousins; d'oh!) because it'll require a lot more thought before I introduce it.

I'm also looking at getting the fully illustrated Harry Potter that came out earlier this month, but I don't really "need" to - my copies (except Prisoner of Azkaban) are in pretty good shape.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast