Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default What harnessed boosters should I consider?

The convertables in DH's and grandma's car are going to be used for the new baby on the way. I have DD's infant seat for my car. We want to get DD harnessed boosters, but I am feeling a little overwhelmed. DD will be almost 5 when number 2 arrives, but I want to keep her harnessed for a while longer. She is average height and weight, so I don't need anything with crazy high limits. I would also like something that can be LATCHed in booster mode. Easy install is important, but we don't move seats around, so once it is installed it will stay until it has to be un/reinstalled (switch to booster, new vehicle, ect). That being said, I don't want to be cursing like a sailor when installing. I also want a no re thread harness. The only store we have around here is BRU, so I would prefer something carried there so DD can try it out first and then I can hunt for a good deal. I know Frontiers are popular around here, but is there anything I should consider?
    ETA: DD also still sleeps in the car on occasion.
    Last edited by trcy; 06-29-2015 at 09:28 PM.
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Frontier is pretty nice, gotta admit. Recaro Performance Sport (I think it's called, their names all sound the same...) is a really nice seat, too, and a little smaller all around than the Frontier.
    I had high hopes for the new Evenflo Evolve or whatever they are called, but the headrest is so so thick I don't know where pigtails or even ears are supposed to fit in there
    Graco Argos is nice, the Elite has a super lockoff for really easy solid seatbelt installs and a third crotch strap for fitting skirts. Latch is the cheap hook kind, but can be used when the seat's in booster mode.
    I think Britax and Recaro are best for preventing sleeping headflop, for most kids in most cars.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Thanks Jools! I agree that the frontier looks nice, but I worry that it is more than we need. I looked at the pioneer, but the install scares me; no lock offs or click tight. I have a blvd that has the lock offs (not click tight) and I can install that with no problems. How is the pioneer, how bad is the install?
    I don't know much about the recaro, I will need to check it out at BRU. How is the install on that?
    I like that the graco Argos elite aphas lock offs, but not happy about head flop.
    DH has an Evenflo symphony which is a pain to install and head flop when she falls asleep, so I would like to avoid both issues.
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

There is a frontier 90 click tight which can be converted into a booster down the road. You could do that for your older DC or pass it on to 2nd DD.

It's what I'm doing for my set up; I'll keep DS1 in his frontier 90 until he's a rising kindy or 1st grader, by then I can pass that seat to DS2 for his FF seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    Thanks Jools! I agree that the frontier looks nice, but I worry that it is more than we need. I looked at the pioneer, but the install scares me; no lock offs or click tight. I have a blvd that has the lock offs (not click tight) and I can install that with no problems. How is the pioneer, how bad is the install?
    I don't know much about the recaro, I will need to check it out at BRU. How is the install on that?
    I like that the graco Argos elite aphas lock offs, but not happy about head flop.
    DH has an Evenflo symphony which is a pain to install and head flop when she falls asleep, so I would like to avoid both issues.
    I don't think BRU has the Recaro Sport in store; we had to go to BBB to try it out. It is a really nice seat. Plush, with memory foam, but also nice and streamlined. It has a no-rethread harness but the headrest/harness adjusts from the back so you have to at least loosen the install to change the headrest/harness height. I can't remember if it can be LATCHed in booster mode but if you are interested, I can check the manual tomorrow (it's in the car with the seat). The install wasn't bad...not as easy as the Britax RA 55 but fairly straightforward after I got the hang of it (I ended up installing 4 times - once in each car, and then again in each car when I realized the headrest needed to be higher). Of note, the LATCH tightens only from one side rather than on each side like the RA55, so I find that makes it more difficult to get things super tight. I had to have DH finish it off the first time.

The harness tightens like butter. So, so smooth. That's one of the reasons that we chose the seat; DD can buckle herself and tighten almost all the way without help, so I just need to check her and finish tightening. She can also loosen it as well however (but not unclip or unbuckle, but she doesn't have every strong hands).
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have the pioneer. I did a seatbelt install. It is solidly in there. I had to push on the seat while locking the seat belt but not that bad to do. I have now done a few times and really not that bad. I have a marathon that had the lock offs and that is easier but this is a not that much longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP here...I think we are going to go with the Frontier. We went to BRU and the only ones that were mentioned here they had in stock were the Pioneer and Argos. We didn't really like the Pioneer and I have read quite a few reviews about the Argos that mentioned head flop. I wish we could see the Frontier in person, but I am going to have to trust that it is popular for a reason. AlbeeBaby has the Frontier on sale for $264. Is that a good deal or do you think I can do better?
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I bought my Frontier 90 for $195 from the Amazon Warehouse, but it is going to be hit or miss on both patterns and availability.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think the Frontier and the Pioneer are very similar. Hopefully someone can chime in who knows more about them.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes, pioneer & frontier shells are the pretty much same - with the frontier you're getting clicktight install, HUGS, and the higher weight and height limits.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast