Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Pikkolo and Tula? Or something else?

I currently have a Moby Wrap, a Maya Wrap (ring sling) and a Pikkolo carrier. My sister just gave me a Tula, which is another soft-structured carrier like the Pikkolo. However, she gave me the gift receipt and encouraged me to exchange it for a different carrier if I'd rather. From the looking I've done online, I don't see any major differences between the Tula and the Pikkolo that would benefit me from having both. Anyone have a different experience? If you don't think it's worth it to have both the Tula and the Pikkolo, any suggestions on other carriers I should check out, based on what I already have? I did a TON of babywearing with DD1 (until she was about 2 and just ready to be out and moving herself), and I anticipate doing a lot with DD2 as well, so I do like having options for carriers. Thanks!
    Lizi

Default Pikkolo and Tula? Or something else?

I've owned both and like the Tula better. I got the pikkolo when DS1 was a few months old. We used it a ton. I sold my pikkolo when Ds2 was 10 months old and got a Tula. It's much more comfortable for larger infants. I did like how the pikkolo straps crossed in the back and the body cinched up. But once baby gets to be 15 lbs or so, the Tula is much more supportive. There's a big waist band (pikkolo doesn't have that), and the body is softer and floppies, so it molds to baby better than the thicker pikkolo canvas. And Tulas are waaaaaay better for back carries. I did use the baby k'tan with DS2 for the first 1.5 months. I think a moby and a Tula are a great combo. Tulas also hold their value really well.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm in LOVE with my Tula ring sling. So soft and comfy. I use it every day. I liked it a Million times better than the Moby I used with DD1.
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I prefer it to my Maya too, but that could be me. I am planning for a new soft structured carrier too but not sure what yet. Maybe a Lillebaby or Tula wrap conversion if I find one that isn't a fortune.
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have both a Pikkolo and Tula, and I like my Tula better b/c of the straps to adjust for nursing. The Tule works well through toddlerhood b/c it is quite wide. It is also THE TRENDY CARRIER BRAND of the past two years, to an almost annoying extent. It is an awesome carrier though! Unlike the Pikkolo, you can't wear facing outward and the base doesn't adjust. I'd personally keep it, you can always resell it later. I started using mine when DD2 was 7ish months and I really do love it.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks for the feedback! I did feel like the Pikkolo wasn't great for DD as she got bigger, so it sounds like the Tula might be a better fit for that. I never wore DD outwards facing so I'm not that concerned the Tula doesn't have that option. Sounds like a good one to keep! Thanks!
    Lizi

meljc is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

I liked Pikkolo until 9mo with DS, but after that something like the Tula (or Lillebaby) is better. With DD, I started the Tula at ~5mo, though she was still a little small for it to be honest. It's a BIG carrier!