azzeps is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Need help installing harnessed booster using a seat belt...

Hi all,

Hoping for some tips here! Just realized today that DD's Britax Frontier 85 was still installed with LATCH, and at 60 lbs, she's past the 65 lbs. (child + seat) for using LATCH. So I installed her seat with the seat belt and I just couldn't get it as rock solid as I could with the LATCH installation Are my expectations too high? I am used to having car seats really, really tightly installed, so that they don't move at all, even though it says that 1" movement is ok. I'm not sure how much it was moving, but it seemed like too much for my liking. Any tips for tightening the installation?

Thanks!
    DD - 3/2008
    DS - 7/2011

There are two ways to install the Frontier, long way and short way. I couldn't get a tight install with the short way but the long way is rock solid. Not sure which way you're doing but if it's not the long way, try it. Check your user manual or online to show how it's done.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Aishe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    There are two ways to install the Frontier, long way and short way. I couldn't get a tight install with the short way but the long way is rock solid. Not sure which way you're doing but if it's not the long way, try it. Check your user manual or online to show how it's done.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    Also, I find it helpful to recline the seat all the way back, then bring it back up when you're done installing (keep holding the seatbelt tight while you bring it back up). That's the only way I can get it rock solid.

ETA: I really despise installing the FR85 with the seatbelt. Had I known what a pain it would be I probably wouldn't have bought the seat. But I imagine the newer models are much easier.
    Last edited by Aishe; 07-20-2015 at 02:23 PM.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The carseatlady has a great video on long belt path. If your seatbelt is long enough it's definitely the way to go. Try to be careful not to accidentally lock the belt until it's all the way threaded, and make sure to attach the tether before you start. I'm really fast at it now since I end up moving the one installed in our 3rd row Mazda5 frequently but there is definitely a learning curve.

azzeps is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thank you!!! I didn't realize there was more than one way! Long path worked! Thanks again!
    DD - 3/2008
    DS - 7/2011