Default Please tell me I can hose off car seats tomorrow?

So, 36.5 weeks pregnant with some minor issues (funky bp's again), scheduled c-section is this week. DH is taking my minivan to get cleaned tomorrow then we'll add the infant seat base, but we pulled out the boys' seats (MA and BLVD) tonight and I washed the covers- they are air drying now.

Their seats are seriously hot messes and there is crud in every nook and cranny of them (thanks mom for all the M&M, popcorn, fruit snack, etc. treats for our 5 min rides home...if she hadn't spent a ton of time cleaning the house for me already this week-I can't really do a lot before my bp acts up- I'd make her deal with it.) I have vacuumed them, scraped a lot of the crud out, turned upside down, etc. but there's still stuff on them in all the tiny nooks and crannies and I'm not up for spending 3 hours cleaning each one with q-tips. Do you think it's ok to hose them off gently (avoiding straps as much as possible) and let sun/air dry tomorrow? I didn't really see info on the Britax website whether it was ok or not either way but google suggests to go for it. This would be the easiest way to clean them by far I think. Thoughts?

TIA!
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Pinky is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have no idea what the experts recommend but I'd be afraid it would be hard to dry after because of all those nooks and crannies.

Could you try a high pressure air hose instead?
    DD Spring 2010

lil_acorn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Please tell me I can hose off car seats tomorrow?

I think it would be OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've hosed off lots of seats. Water's not a problem, they warn against washing because people use bleach and downy and ruin the anti-flammabilty or weaken the straps with too much soaking (in bleach). Just try not to wash the labels off, and make sure you get every last drop of water out fast (fan in the sunshine?), so nothing settles on any metal parts and rusts, and give a lot of attention to drying the harness bits (like, if you have to leave the adjuster strap in place) with a towel.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    I've hosed off lots of seats. Water's not a problem, they warn against washing because people use bleach and downy and ruin the anti-flammabilty or weaken the straps with too much soaking (in bleach). Just try not to wash the labels off, and make sure you get every last drop of water out fast (fan in the sunshine?), so nothing settles on any metal parts and rusts, and give a lot of attention to drying the harness bits (like, if you have to leave the adjuster strap in place) with a towel.
    Thanks! Good to know! This was so much easier then some of the 'use q-tips and spend 4 hours cleaning your car seat' tutorials I found online!
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019