TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Recommend a straw cup for toddler

We have a variety of older Playtex and another brand (Munchkin maybe?) straw cups and I have HAD IT with trying to match straws that are almost the same but not quite to their respective cups. I'm ready to throw them all out and start over. What are some really good straw cups for toddlers and older kids? Insulated would be great but it's not necessary. I am looking for something with as few parts as possible. It does not have to be completely spill proof, but it does have to have a straw that retracts or a lid that closes over the straw. We have plenty of Take and Toss straw cups but I can't throw those in a bag or a backpack. DD2 does fine drinking out a kid's Contigo striker bottle, but it is a bit heavy for her to pick up.

Thanks!
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

I like the playtex anytime straw cups from Target (among other places). The straw is 2 pieces but easy to take apart and put together. I threw away my Munchkin straw cup due to a combination of leaks and it being a pain to put the short part of the straw back in. we tried the Gerber insulated straw cups, but I returned them because although the claim to be dishwasher safe after 1-2 trips through there was water getting stuck between the cup layers. I plan to get a funtainer or two for when we really want the insulation, but the playtex are great for daycare, diaper bags, around the house, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    I like the playtex anytime straw cups from Target (among other places). The straw is 2 pieces but easy to take apart and put together. I threw away my Munchkin straw cup due to a combination of leaks and it being a pain to put the short part of the straw back in. we tried the Gerber insulated straw cups, but I returned them because although the claim to be dishwasher safe after 1-2 trips through there was water getting stuck between the cup layers. I plan to get a funtainer or two for when we really want the insulation, but the playtex are great for daycare, diaper bags, around the house, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Those look similar to the Playtex ones we have already (although we have the insulated ones), I wonder if the straw parts are the same? Ours are about 5 years old.

Has anyone tried the new First Years simple straw cup, or any of the other First Years straw cups? The simple straw cups look interesting because they are stackable.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

We are down to only the Playtex cups. We have some insulated and some not, and the only difference is the straw length. I can deal with that! I, too, got sick of matching up cups. The Playtex cups are not quite leakproof, but we don't get leaks very often.

Those First Years simple straw cups look great, but they don't look like they'd travel any better than the take and toss cups.
    DD 6/06
    DS 4/09
    DS 5/12

Quote Originally Posted by keh602 View Post

Those First Years simple straw cups look great, but they don't look like they'd travel any better than the take and toss cups.
    You're right. Somehow I totally missed the fact that there is no straw cover on those!