Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Only on the way home from the hospital/adoption agency. My DD was horrible reflux and a screamer. But if I could drive around with her alone, why would my DH and I split up when we were driving together? My SIL rode in the back with her child for a long time (she also limited solo trips). Honestly, it seems odd and I don't think I know anyone IRL from any generation who did it.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    Why not just let him daydream by himself? I know it doesn't work for all kids. But sitting in the car without stimulation is really good, I think, for many kids. Watching the world zip by, enjoying the feel of the road, thinking baby thoughts.
    I do agree that for many children learning to entertain themselves is a good skill to learn! I personally find driving in the car relaxing. Lots of daydreaming going on.

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    Why not just let him daydream by himself? I know it doesn't work for all kids. But sitting in the car without stimulation is really good, I think, for many kids. Watching the world zip by, enjoying the feel of the road, thinking baby thoughts.
    I guess I never thought about it like that. It's never been about him crying - we just started the habit when he was a newborn and never really tried to change it. He is perfectly fine back there when it's just one parent driving. He makes faces in the mirror and will play with his little toys that we keep in the car. Falls asleep quite a bit as well. So it's definitely DH and I with the habit!

Eta - maybe it's a little cultural? Growing up in the Caribbean, some parents did sit in the back holding their little ones. This was way before car seat usage became as widespread as it is today though still not as good as it should be.
    Last edited by Zukini; 08-26-2015 at 11:25 PM.
    DS 2014

I sat in the back with DD. she was very high needs and my presence really calmed her. I sometimes sat in the back when DS1 was a baby, but rarely with Ds2 since we didn't have any room. It was only for newborns and infants.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

joules is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm an outlier too. I just recently started sitting in the front again...about the time DS1 turned 5. I just liked watching him and playing with his baby feet when he was rear facing. Then when he started forward facing I was just so used to it...and also I had DS2 to play with. haha.
    DS1 - 03/10
    DS2 - 02/12

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've done it a few times on road trips so I could nurse them as itty bitties but thats it. DH and I have some of our best conversations in the car so I keep that time for him. Plus I bw most of the time so they got more than enough 'face time'. driving became 'me' time.

But, hey, if it works for you, enjoy! In the blink of an eye, they'll be off to Kindy on the bus.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Only on the car ride home from hospital... Never had the need to and I get carsick so as a passenger it wouldn't work and I often was the only adult in the car.
    This is me too!

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

One of us (usually me) regularly sat in the back with DC from birth until about age 2.5yo. DC is now 4.5yo and I still sit back there occasionally to help with a project, snack, or just have some extra face time together.

For DH and me, car time is really good talking time. We always sit together up front. My kids are generally great in the car. DD has entered a phase where, unpredictably, discussion cannot happen unless she controls it, so that's annoying, but DS has always been content to daydream or listen to an audiobook. DD is fine as long as her brother is back there with her. Both my kids have been big car nappers. DH and I would always look forward to weekend drives with the kids asleep in the back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5