Thread: BM and Vitamins

Default BM and Vitamins

My LO is just one week corrected (8wks old). I am exclusively BF. The dr recommended two bottles of NeoSure daily. He couldn't tolerate the formula so we stopped all formula. He is gaining over an ounce a day so the wait isn't a problem. However the doctor mentioned needing the calcium and phosphorus to prevent rickets. We are also supplementing vitamin D. Has anyone else had problems with this? I am worried that I am hurting our baby by only giving breast milk and vitamin D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What??? Unless there are some other circumstances, no way would I be giving formula or neosure if I did not want to. Rickets? Really? I am no doctor, but I would not be following that advice. We did give vitamin D once every few days however.

Your ped does not sound very BF-friendly. We had a few in the NICU who would give stupid advice and were not pleased that we were exclusively BF.

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have never heard of needing to supplement for calcium and phosphorus. The only thing I have heard of giving is vitamin d.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Kellymom has a great page on the topic with references. http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamins/

I supplemented vitamin D but have not heard of other supplement usage.

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    Kellymom has a great page on the topic with references. http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamins/

I supplemented vitamin D but have not heard of other supplement usage.
    This is a good reference, but everything refers to healthy, term babies. Maybe PP's baby being premature has something to do with the rec? I wouldn't discount it all together, but I definitely question it.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

I would look for a new physician! He seems woefully uninformed about BF babies!
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)