Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Mother's Milk Tea -- new herbs

I just went to buy a new box of Mother's Milk tea (by Traditional Medicinals) and I see that they've totally changed it. Instead of the herbs they used to have in it, they now have only three -- Shatavari root, cardamom seed, and marshmallow leaf. (marshmallow used to be in the old version, the other two are completely new). I've never even heard of Shatavari root. Anyone have any feedback or knowledge about the new formulation? I'm not struggling w/ milk supply, but I like to drink tea and almost always just choose to drink the Mother's Milk when nursing b/c that way I don't have to go research each time and figure out whether the tea is an okay one for nursing. I haven't tried it yet but I liked the old version so I'm not thrilled it's changed....

And different question but along the same lines...I just bought a box of Fenugreek tea (that's all that's in it) because I like the flavor for iced tea, and know Fenugreek is safe for nursing....except the box specifically says "do not use if pregnant or nursing". Do you think the warning is just a general CYA warning? Fenugreek tea is safe for nursing, right?
    Lizi

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Mother's Milk Tea -- new herbs

Shatavari is a galactagogue and in Indian culture is given to a new mom to help with milk supply. It is very much safe, it's also mentioned in the awesome book by Diane West "the breastfeeding mothers guide to making more milk". I think she also has a website lowmilksupply.org and it may have information about shatavari.

Fenugreek is safe and recommended, I took the capsule form which is more effective than the tea. If you are not struggling with low supply then tea is a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks for the info! I tried the new version (with the Shatavari) and I don't care for the taste as much as the previous one...so I stocked up on the last I could find of the original version!
    Lizi