Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default UPDATE in OP:Need HBB help for rear row of Ody

UPDATE: Someone in my local network just suggested this. Can anyone speak to the safety of this device?
    http://www.amazon.com/Seat-Belt-Buck.../dp/B005MKSFH8

So, we just bought a 2008 Ody. And right away as I expected, buckling 3 kids into the back row is challenging. We have DD3 in a Radian, DD1 in a Harmony Dream HHB, and DD2 in a Graco Turbo. We are going to try one more config, but chiefly, it is extremely difficult for DD2 to buckle herself in. Right now she just can't. I was able to, but with great difficulty. The problem seems to be that little buckle where the middle belt has to be anchored in before you can buckle it on the other side. That little buckle shares a space with the buckle for DD32's seat, the buckle seems to recede into the seat, and between the crowding of the two buckles and receding of the outboard seat's buckle, it's just a hot mess.

The Harmony Dream is no longer being sold I believe, the reason we bought the Turbo. We got them to work in my Accord, but are thinking, since boosters are not that expensive, we might as well get two more and just leave them in the Ody so we aren't switching them back and forth all the time. The Ody is not going to be our main car. My Accord will continue to fulfill that function. But when our entire family including my parents go somewhere (they are living with us now), we will be in the Ody, That includes church on Sundays, occasional road trips, meals out, and occasional visits to extended family in Mass, an hour away.

Does anyone have a 2 booster 1 convertible seat combo that works in that back row?
    Last edited by maestramommy; 09-05-2015 at 10:53 AM.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Congrats on your new car! a few thoughts:

1)Does yours have a middle seat between the captain's chairs? our 2009 Ody has a 2nd row middle, and we sometimes use that and let someone sit between grandparents. It just makes for a calmer car than 3 DC in the 3rd row.

2)Are you leaving the 1st little buckle snapped in? We do when we're set up for 3 across back there.

3)We use a BubbleBum when 3 across is tight back there.

I have an 09 ody, and I've only had three kids in the back on a few occasions and the bubblebum was the only was I could get three across. And it was still a PITA to buckle.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

In my 2009 ody I had three across in the back row. Drivers side was the Radian, middle was britax ma, and passenger side was just a random lbb I had bought to have an extra seat. The radian and ma were 5 point. Not sure if this helps. I had to buckle the lbb but it was easy

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

How about a RideSafer vest? We have an older version and it's a bit of a pain for regular use and you'll be using it enough to put it in that category, but maybe it'll work?
    Kris

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Are any of them 60lb - you could try incognito

Thanks ladies! I'll give some thought to one person riding in the middle row with my parents. For now we took out that little middle seat, and pushed the passenger side captains chair over so there would be more space for the kids to hop into the back.

This morning I swapped sides for the two Hbb and right away it was much better! It's just the funny way the Harmony Dream is configured, DD1 had more space for her hand to get back there. The Turbobooster worked much better on the driver's side.

However, we still have to buy two more HHBs so, I'll be checking out your suggestions!

Legaleagle, nobody is 60 lbs yet. DD1 and 2 are only 49 lbs, so not sure when we'll see 60!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

You can't use a seatbelt extender with a booster seat, unfortunately.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    You can't use a seatbelt extender with a booster seat, unfortunately.
    Really? Why not? bummer!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

Quote Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
    Really? Why not? bummer!
    I know I've read you can't use them. I imagine its because the geometry is changed. The seatbelt no longer goes from shoulder to opposite hip. Instead it goes from shoulder to somewhere between the hip and belly button, depending on how long it is. Plus, it means a hard buckle part is likely on top of the belly instead of to the side of the hip.
    Kris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast