Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

So those dates in your siggy are correct, right? Kiddos are 05/07/09 birthdays. I'd also consider backless narrow seats like the Cosco TopSide or Harmony Youth, both are about $13, TopSide is usually at Target, Harmony at Walmart. A backless is a very safe choice for kiddos those ages in a car with side curtain airbags, and especially for less-frequent trips where they won't be sleeping, it's fine. And those are very narrow. Turbo measures among the thinner boosters, but is literally the most difficult one to buckle next to another seat, it's just so boxy!
    Honda is even more strict about seatbelt extenders than other brands (none at all, not even pre-measured to fit larger adults specifically), and no boosters allow them, so I hope we can find something workable, though with the switching of the seats it sounds like you are almost there! Any chance your oldest passes the 5 step test yet? Plop her back there on the seat, see if her feet are flat on the floor, butt all the way back, belt low on hips and on shoulder...sometimes in smaller back seats kids tend to fit before the 57" 'standard' where most people are supposed to fit well. (my 06 baby is 90'th percentile--57.5"--, so I sometimes think all kids are taller than they are, if I'm way off base, forgive me in advance!)
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post

Thanks! I see the link to the pool noodle trick too, which is awesome. Thank you!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    So those dates in your siggy are correct, right? Kiddos are 05/07/09 birthdays. I'd also consider backless narrow seats like the Cosco TopSide or Harmony Youth, both are about $13, TopSide is usually at Target, Harmony at Walmart. A backless is a very safe choice for kiddos those ages in a car with side curtain airbags, and especially for less-frequent trips where they won't be sleeping, it's fine. And those are very narrow. Turbo measures among the thinner boosters, but is literally the most difficult one to buckle next to another seat, it's just so boxy!
    Honda is even more strict about seatbelt extenders than other brands (none at all, not even pre-measured to fit larger adults specifically), and no boosters allow them, so I hope we can find something workable, though with the switching of the seats it sounds like you are almost there! Any chance your oldest passes the 5 step test yet? Plop her back there on the seat, see if her feet are flat on the floor, butt all the way back, belt low on hips and on shoulder...sometimes in smaller back seats kids tend to fit before the 57" 'standard' where most people are supposed to fit well. (my 06 baby is 90'th percentile--57.5"--, so I sometimes think all kids are taller than they are, if I'm way off base, forgive me in advance!)

Hey thanks Jools for chiming in! So, yes the siggy dates are correct. DD1 is currently about 52 inches high and 48 lbs. DD2 is about 49 inches high and 48 lbs. Forgive me if I'm off but for some reason I thought their size is still too small for a backless booster, except occasionally? My kids are hanging on the bottom of the growth chart, and their peers sort of confirm that, so I"m never sure. Nobody's feet are close to the floor in the booster obviously. One day I HAD to put DD2 in the seat and I saw the shoulder belt was right on her neck. I was cringing during the whole 5 minute drive home :P

I did see the thread that included the pool noodle trick. Would that be safe in the back of the Ody?

ETA: we are going to be taking a long road trip in this car, so yes, they will be sleeping.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

We have a 2010 Ody and my oldest is an 04. He didn't 5 step in the rear seat until this past spring at 57". He's just over 50th percentile.
    Kris

For the backless booster, as long as they can sit right, they should be fine. They aren't as restrictive and let kid move and lean more, so they need to be old enough to understand how to sit and to stay like that. Most of them have a 40lb limit on it and some have a 30 lbs, so your kids are plenty big enough. My 3rd is 7 and he rides in one occasionally in DH's car.
    Kris

Oddly, I found my dd1's old military ID and she was only 52" at almost 10 (we still call her Bitsy, even though she's now as tall as I am! She was my wee one ), so yeah, this third kid is...huge, lol.
    Kris is right, a backless is fine for older kiddos, most have a 40" height limit, in addition to the 40 or 30 lb lower weight limit (I found my big kiddo did best at age 6 when her shoulders had widened out a bit in proportion to her head, then the shoulderbelt stayed on a lot better even if she leaned a little).
    Dreamtime has a 2.0 now for a highback... http://www.target.com/p/harmony-drea...r/-/A-16509113 and it's possibly likely that the Britax Parkway will fit, and for a crazy high budget last option, the Maxi Cosi Rodifix has no armrests and doesn't have to be LATCHed (though it's an option), but might work too. Evenflo Big Kid might also work, but has fairly tiny headwings if the kiddo is a very relaxed and slumpy car sleeper, it might not work for that.
    Julie

Oddly, I found my dd1's old military ID and she was only 52" at almost 10 (we still call her Bitsy, even though she's now as tall as I am! She was my wee one ), so yeah, this third kid is...huge, lol.
    Kris is right, a backless is fine for older kiddos, most have a 40" height limit, in addition to the 40 or 30 lb lower weight limit (I found my big kiddo did best at age 6 when her shoulders had widened out a bit in proportion to her head, then the shoulderbelt stayed on a lot better even if she leaned a little).
    Dreamtime has a 2.0 now for a highback... http://www.target.com/p/harmony-drea...r/-/A-16509113 and it's possibly likely that the Britax Parkway will fit, and for a crazy high budget last option, the Maxi Cosi Rodifix has no armrests and doesn't have to be LATCHed (though it's an option), but might work too. Evenflo Big Kid might also work, but has fairly tiny headwings if the kiddo is a very relaxed and slumpy car sleeper, it might not work for that.
    Jools, I did look at Walmart's website and saw the Dreamtime deluxe is back! So last night I ran out to Walmart and bought two. They are now "permanently" installed in the back row of the Ody with our spare Radian in between. I moved the Turbobooster back into my Accord. Oddly enough, the Dreamtime cannot sit outboard in the back of my Accord. For whatever reason it just won't sit flush against the back, so DD1's Dreamtime must always be in the middle. The Turbo is great outboard on the shotgun side. Just one of those quirky carseat things!

Thank you for all the great suggestions and ideas everyone! Once again this board comes through!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

Oh wow, that was surprisingly easy to fix. Cool!
    Julie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2