army_mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default snow bibs for skiing

I know it's a little early as it's nearly 100 degrees outside, but I am looking for a new winter jacket and snow pants for DD. We are going skiing for Christmas and am wondering if most snow pants will fit ski boots under them? Or do I need to get a pair that has the zippers on the side to be able to unzip to allow the ski boot to fit under them? We have basic snow bibs from walmart but am wondering if I need to get a pair like these from Lands End? LE often has coupons but I'd rather not spend a ton on them if I don't have to and I've never been skiing before. We will use snow pants plenty but this will likely be the only time we ski before she outgrows them.

http://www.landsend.com/products/gir...46?sku_0=::FD9

Also taking opinions on any good ski pants for me as I'll need a pair too

TIA!
    Roo (12/08)
    Bear (7/15)
    (10/16)

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We've had snow bibs from Land's End, Costco & Old Navy and they have all fit over ski boots just fine; no need for zippers. I like the Costco ones for kids. For Adults, try Sierra Trading Post... Great deals for ski stuff for adults & kids.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yes, check Costco. I think ours were $30 last year but they are awesome. If you only need them for one day, used or borrowed makes most sense.

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I would go with the LE (or LLB, Columbia, etc) this winter since you say she'll get lots of use out of them at home, too. It would be awful if she was too wet or cold and miserable to enjoy the skiing. If your kid is very tough or runs hot usually, she might be able to get by with less expensive gear. I know some kids who are fine and others who seem to need the better stuff to handle the cold in comfort.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Yes, check Costco. I think ours were $30 last year but they are awesome. If you only need them for one day, used or borrowed makes most sense.
    Our Costco had snowpants for $15 a few days ago.

army_mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

thanks for the info! I will keep my eye on sales for LLB and LE since our nearest Costco is nearly 2.5 hours away (but I may send my MIL for a trip with her friend and see if there are some as I don't see them online ). We'll use them more than a day for snow play (we live in the midwest) but will likely only ski for the Christmas break this year. Since she outgrew hers from last year I wanted to make sure what I buy would be able to be used on the ski trip.

Thanks
    Roo (12/08)
    Bear (7/15)
    (10/16)

I spotted some CB brand womens' snow bibs at Goodwill the other day and looked them up on ebay to see if I might be able to make some $ reselling them, and I was surprised to see them selling for not much more than the goodwill price of $11. So I'd check ebay.

Nemesia is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We get the Land's End snow bibs every time. They sometimes last 2 years, with very heavy use, depending on how fast my dds grow. They are always in good enough condition to hand down too.