Pinky is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Highlights High Five or Ladybug for 5 year old girl

We're trying to find a good magazine to order for DD. She is 5.5yo and can read things like Dr. Seuss books etc. Do you guys like Highlights High Five or Ladybug for this age group? Is there another one that I should consider?
    DD Spring 2010

We had Highlites High Five when DS was younger and I wouldn't recommend it, especially for a child who is reading. It's very basic and frankly not very interesting. Does she like Legos? Their magazine is free and you just have to sign up for it. That's DS' favorite. DD loves looking at the Lego Friends or Disney Princesses or Elves, something girly is always featured but much less than the more boyish City sets.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

High Five is defiantly for younger kids. We get it for my just turned four yr old. We do the regular highlights for my 6 yr old DS. It is one of their Christmas presents from my parents.

For a 5-year-old who reads, I'd suggest Click instead of Ladybug. We've subscribed to various Cricket magazines since my first was a baby -- for some reason Ladybug was the one that didn't really appeal to us. Click was great!
    Katia

I've been wondering myself if I should re-up our Ladybug subscription for my just-turned-six DD. She has liked it a lot and now that her reading is stronger I think she might feel accomplished being able to read it on her own. I think the topics and stories are just right for the 5-6 year old set but I'm wondering if the next stage up, Spider, for ages 6-9, might be better. Click, as a previous poster suggested is good. I remember it from my older daughter. It's different from Ladybug and Spider though since it's more science focused and less "literary." I've never read Highlights so I can't comment there. Maybe try Click or Spider if you want a longer shelf life than Ladybug given her age and reading ability?

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Oh my goodness, I don't think High Five is too young for a 5 year old!
    Highlights is ideal for about an 8 year old.

I think Ladybug and High Five are pretty similar. Ladybug is better quality all around, but High Five is more kid-accessible. Like, Ladybug would have a lovely drawing with a few hidden images, and the instructions are "Look at the beach scene! Perhaps you can find some things that don't belong?" While High Five would have a page covered with ridiculous cartoon-style images and big words "That's SILLY!" on top. Same thing, one is more reserved and nicely crafted, one is more goofy and giggly.

If you have an animal lover, Ranger Rick is a good one for that age. I like it better than High Five and Ladybug.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My 5 year old loves Ranger Rick! We get both the Jr and regular kind.

for Sandy Hook

kwc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

My kids loved Spider at that age... we skipped Ladybug as they were already reading (like your DD).

Pinky is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks everybody! I found a $10 groupon for a year of Ranger Rick so we're going to get that or the Jr version. I'll check out the others too.
    DD Spring 2010