elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Looking for a Color Changing Lightsaber

I need a color changing lightsaber for a costume--preferably with the swish sound effects. The one linked below would be perfect, but camelcamelcamel says it usually is around $20 and it's currently $50. I've looked for it elsewhere, but it is $50 or more everywhere I can find it! Anyone have any recommendations, or any knowledge if this toy will be coming out in a new version before Halloween?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...2775059&sr=8-1

DH got some from K-Mart for about $7/each.

Good luck!
    DS1: 3/09
    DS2: 2/11
    DS3: 3/13

Tenasparkl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Check out flashingblinkylights.com

They have an expandable one that can change between a few colors. I ordered some solid color ones for DDs Star Wars party and they were a huge hit. They're more costume/party favor quality than light saber toy quality, but the prices reflect that.

joules is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have several different light sabers.

(1) The best quality (play) one is the "ultimate fx" series (not to be confused with "force fx" which is the one where msrp is about $150)...which i think is the one you linked to. I've had 2 of them in my amazon cart for the last few months and they still haven't dropped in price. Normal price is around $35, but I guess they are too popular (?) so the prices are always super inflated. My co-worker snagged a Darth Vader version for about $40 for me. I don't know if they are planning to make more. Surprisingly this one gets the least amount of play from my 2 DSs. Not sure if it's because it's "Darth Vader" or not (they like luke and yoda). It's my and DH's favorite tho in terms of quality and coolness.

(2) Electronic telescoping light saber (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Wars-...saber/45057776). These are available at WalMart for ~$15. It makes the swishing sound and lights up. But it doesn't retract completely. (comes in red and blue versions).

(3) Retractable light saber (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Wars-...saber/45057770). Available at WalMart for ~$8. This one does not light up or make swishing sounds (no batteries required). But it retracts completely. DS1 likes this one the most. I think it's because it retracts completely so he can carry it around like a "real" lightsaber. At this price you could get a red and a blue one? The retracting nature of it means it gets kind of stuck sometimes. But DS1 is 5 and he can usually fix it himself, occasionally we'll have to unstick it for him.

(4) we have some of the non star wars brand ones. They were cheap and from ebay. The handle is a fake chrome color, but the blade changes colors - red, green, blue, purple, etc. It also makes swishing sounds, but they don't sound exactly like the movies. And the sounds are constant. I think #1 and #2 play the swishing sound when you actually move the lightsaber. Definitely not my favorite, but DSs love playing with them.

(5) I have also made our own from pool noodles. These are the most fun because you can actually battle with them. If you can somehow shove a flashlight in it, it glows nicely. We can't find one that fits tho, but the DSs sometimes hold the flashlight in place while they play. I have also made ones from a toilet paper roll painted to look like the handle and then rolled up colored cardstock to make the blade.
    DS1 - 03/10
    DS2 - 02/12