logan's mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default School Fundraiser Silent Auction Baskets

I am in charge on my son's class basket for the silent auction. We have been assigned the theme of "BBQ." I have never done this before or even seen the baskets/auction before so any guidance would be great. I was given the option of collecting money or collecting items. I have asked for $ but told parents that they can contact me if they would rather send in an item. Hopefully this will avoid ending up with a whole bunch of bbq sauce and nothing to go with it!

Any thoughts on what direction to take my basket? Should I assume that the person bidding on the basket already has a grill and buy sauces, spices, a good thermometer and a gift card for meat. Should I put everything in a cooler or is that not really a BBQ item? Maybe a beverage tub instead?

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by logan's mom View Post
    IShould I assume that the person bidding on the basket already has a grill and buy sauces, spices, a good thermometer and a gift card for meat. Should I put everything in a cooler or is that not really a BBQ item? Maybe a beverage tub instead?
    Those items in a beverage tub sound great. It might be a good idea to make a sign up sheet for the items you want to include to avoid doubles. That way the parents that would rather send an item or two (instead of money) have an idea of what to buy.

logan's mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Oh no.... wrong forum. I have no idea how to move the thread!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Pinterest for ideas. I find really clever auction suggestions there (I help organize our annual fundraiser). I agree with the sign up sheet too (Sign Up Genius, maybe). It's been very helpful for this as well.

barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

we just had one at our school's silent auction and it was all in one of those collapsible wagons - a red one. I guess it doesn't totally fit the theme, but it looked super cute!
    DC ~ 9
    DC ~ 7

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by barkley1 View Post
    we just had one at our school's silent auction and it was all in one of those collapsible wagons - a red one. I guess it doesn't totally fit the theme, but it looked super cute!
    I just bought one of those wagons, and would have jumped at an auction basket in one!
    Other ideas to add in- cookbook, bbq tongs and spatula. Scrub brush for the grill. Maybe a GC for OmahaSteaks or other nice meat place.
    mom to Billy 12/07