Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    melwe is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default I'm so over tight fitting, skinny everything for girls clothing...

This is a part vent and part asking for help.

I'm just so very frustrated right now. I've just been shopping for pants for DD who is 8 (almost 9). It seems like it gets harder and harder every year to find pants that fit her. We left stores today with exactly ZERO that fit.

Right now it seems everything is skinny or super skinny. Guess what, some girls her age have a little bit of a tummy. They are not all built like stick figures (or extra skinny stick figures).

It also doesn't help that she gets pickier about what type of pants she will wear. She doesn't like pants with zippers or buttons. Skinny jeans are either too tight or (in her words) take too long to put on. The knit waisted jeans always fall off her bottom when she bends over.

Our go-to has been the Circo cotton sweat pants from Target but she seems to be in between sizes right now. The 8 is too small in the waist/thigh and the 10 is too long.

The leggings with tunics or dresses can work really well for her, but she has PE some days. Also sometimes she just wants to wear her regular shirts!

I've just ordered a bunch of pants from Justice that she can try on and see if any work: knit waisted and yoga pants. I'm going to try the plus size to see if it gives more room in her waist.

I just am starting to feel bad for her too. I know she was frustrated after today and I don't want it to affect her self-esteem. I guess I just wasn't expecting this at her age already. I know that it's not just my DD. At the store, there was another girl who had a larger build than my DD who picked out some pants and I heard her mom say "No those won't work. They are too skinny."

Is it so hard to make clothes that every girl can be comfortable and confident in what they wear? Okay vent over. Thanks.
    Melanie

DD 12/06
    DS 9/2011

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm with you on this and my daughter is one of those skinny girls. We have tried jeans at kohls and old navy. She did find a pair of boot cut jeans and a pair of cords at ON today but most things she tried on she said were too tight in the thighs or too hard to get on/off at the ankles. Even though she is thin she's shorter than most of the girls in her class. So pants that are a good length for her are too tight and pants that fit better in the waist (though we still have to cinch the waist band) are way too long and have to be cuffed up. Most pants just don't look quit right on her. What is up with girls sizing and designs?

melwe is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    I'm with you on this and my daughter is one of those skinny girls.
    Yes, thank you for reminding me that "skinny" girls have problems too! I understand the look is fashionable now, but honestly my DD cares more about comfort right now.
    Melanie

DD 12/06
    DS 9/2011

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I feel your pain! When my DD was younger, Gymboree actually made a size 9. We have a few of those pairs of pants from scouring consignment sale racks. DD also had some hand-me-down Tea stretchy pants that she was loving (size 10) . Hanna pants in 130 fit for a bit, but the 140s are a bit big now. She loved their soft yoga pants.

We did the mall thing a couple years ago and found it so challenging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'm with you, too. I have more luck at thrift stores. You get more years worth of styles. My DD prefers no pants, so I only need a couple pairs for the winter. But, they are so hard to find. She needs a 10 for the hips, but then they are big in her waist and 2" too long. Size 8 are too short in length and way too short in the rise, so when she bends over, they go halfway down her butt.

On gym day, she tends to wear skirts with built-in shorts. In the winter, she puts leggings under them.
    Kris

Gap has new legging jeans with an elastic waist that my DD loves. DD has no problems with pants, but she has major shirt problems. She's starting to develop (9.5) breast buds plus she's a swimmer so she's very broad across the chest and all shirts are tight in the armpits and across the chest. She's 50% fir height and 60% for weight, so very average
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

My dd is skinny and few clothing stores carry pants that will fit her, the waists are always too wide. Generally, stores like lands end, Gymboree, Hanna Anderson and justice tend to be generous in the waist. Maybe focus on those stores?

I would try TeaCollection, they have some really cute pants that actually look comfortable, though they can be a little pricey. If what you want isn't on sale this week end, they're having a 15% off sale on the 13. (I'm hoping to snag a dress we love then.) My cousins' DD is 90% for height and weight and I think she gets most of her play clothes from Mini-Boden.
    Mother to DD 10/2010

citymama is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Hanna Andersson clothing is made with exactly this in mind. Both Hanna and Boden fit generously. Which is a problem for my slender waisted DD, because her Boden pants are always falling off her waist! We have resorted to sweats and yoga pants rather than button/zip up for everyday use. My DD is 9 and all her clothes look age appropriate - I don't shop at Gap or Target for her any more because I can't deal with that look! Another fave for us is a local brand called Peek Kids, only on sale though (they retail at Nordstrom too).

Tea pants are definitely cut more straight and skinny, so probably not a good for for the OPs DD.

for Sandy Hook

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Hanna Andersson clothing is made with exactly this in mind. Both Hanna and Boden fit generously. Which is a problem for my slender waisted DD, because her Boden pants are always falling off her waist! We have resorted to sweats and yoga pants rather than button/zip up for everyday use. My DD is 9 and all her clothes look age appropriate - I don't shop at Gap or Target for her any more because I can't deal with that look! Another fave for us is a local brand called Peek Kids, only on sale though (they retail at Nordstrom too).

Tea pants are definitely cut more straight and skinny, so probably not a good for for the OPs DD.
    What do you buy from them? Do they go on sale? Spending $39 for a pair of jeans is way more than I can spend for DD. It's more than I spend on jeans for me!
    Kris

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast