Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Here are some staples:

For speed:
    Parmesan Fish:
    Frozen fish filets thaw in bowl of water while oven heats to 425. Put filets on baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent sticking. Smear a bit of mayonnaise on the filets, sprinkle herb seasoning (we like Mrs. Dash garlic and herb) top with Parmesan cheese. Cook for 9-12 minutes. You can also bake chicken breasts with mayonnaise and Parmesan. It's a great, easy combination.

Garlic shrimp:
    In food processor combine: 3-6 cloves of garlic, 1/4-1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup coarsely chopped white onion (one onion), 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Pour mixture over raw shrimp in pan and cook for about 4 minutes.

Chicken with salsa:
    Put Chicken tenders in a pan, pour over a jar of salsa, cook until chicken is done.

Chicken with mushrooms and onions:
    I sauté the onions, add the mushrooms, throw in the chicken (usually tenders or pounded breasts) and some Marsala cooking wine and cook until the chicken is done. Add a little butter to the sauce at the end.

For nights with more time:

Turkey meatloaf:
    Process 8oz of mushrooms and an onion. You can add any leftover veggies you have in the fridge. You want a fine chop/mince but not a paste!
    Soak 2 slices of bread in a bit of milk until mushy
    Mix both with a package (about 1-1.5lbs) ground turkey and season. (I use some Lawry's season salt and some garlic powder.) Form into a loaf on a baking sheet with sides and slather with ketchup. Bake at 350 for an hour. This is better the second day, so it's great to cook on the weekend and eat hot or cold throughout the week.

Greek Chicken:
    Marinade/sauce (I don't marinate this):
    1/4 c. olive oil
    2 T. nonfat plain yogurt
    1 T. lemon juice or white vinegar
    2 T. minced garlic (or garlic powder)
    2 T. fresh chopped parsley
    2 t salt
    2 t dried oregano
    1 t black pepper (I use half)
    1/2 t ground nutmeg (I use half)
    1 t cinnamon
    1 pinch cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
    (optional for color: 1/2 t. coriander)

2 packs of chicken tenders (or cut-up chicken breast)

Toss in the following, to your liking:
    Cubed red pepper, orange pepper, yellow pepper, green peppers, onion, sliced mushrooms.

Mix everything together with the sauce in large square baking dish in a single layer. I use a big roasting pan. Cover with foil, bake 30 minutes on 350, then uncover and bake another 15-20 minutes or until center of chicken is not pink. This is really tasty, the chicken is juicy (b/c of the yogurt), it's colorful, takes about 15 minutes of prep time, and can be served cold or hot.

Salmon teriyaki:
    Season salmon filets with onion powder and pour over SoyVey Island teriyaki sauce. Bake for 20 minutes at 350. This is sweet. I save it for when I'm in the mood for that kind of flavor. The kids love it.

We also do a whole wheat no-cook noodle lasagna with turkey meat, mushrooms, onions, and whatever other veggies we want to throw in there. The kids really like turkey burgers with sweet potato fries. They also like plain boiled or roasted chicken, so I do a batch of that sometimes and use leftover chicken for chicken enchiladas, tetrazzini, or chicken rice casserole. Roasted chicken is really easy if you plan ahead, and you can roast veggies in the bottom of the pan at the same time. We also do several vegetarian meals on a regular basis.

I do a whole chicken every week. Wash it and bake on 325-350 until done. I usually throw into the pan an onion, lots of garlic, any other vegetables we have, and I slather the chicken in butter or olive oil with salt and pepper. It's so easy and leaves us with leftovers.
    Last edited by elizamom; 10-06-2015 at 12:36 PM.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My kids love the Buitoni tortellini and I usually have some hot dogs or frozen ring sausage. I get a pot of water to boil and throw in the ring sausage. It takes about 12-18 minutes to get hot if it's frozen. I throw the tortellini in for the last 3 minutes. I drain them all at the same time. I throw the pasta back in the pot with butter and salt. I serve the sausage on the side. I'll usually have some safe vegies left around that the kids can eat with dip (bottled ranch dressing works great).

I almost always have frozen tortellini and frozen sausage around as a "oops, I don't have dinner planned" meal. It's easy, fast and everyone will eat it.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 10-06-2015 at 04:17 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elizamom View Post
    I do a whole chicken every week. Wash it and bake on 325-350 until done. I usually throw into the pan an onion, lots of garlic, any other vegetables we have, and I slather the chicken in butter or olive oil with salt and pepper. It's so easy and leaves us with leftovers.
    How long do you cook it? TIA

Default What are your go-to easy recipes for dinner?

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    It depends on how big the chicken is! The best bet is to get a meat thermometer and cook until the breast is at 160. Then you let the chicken rest for about half an hour before carving.

ETA: most big chickens will take about 1.5-2 hours, less if you use a convection oven.

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    i like to get a 5lb chicken so we have lots of leftovers. I cook ours for approximately 1hr 45mns at 350. I check it with a thermometer.
    Our favorite thing to do with the leftovers lately is fried rice. I usually have leftover brown rice from earlier in the week and I just sauté the rice, chicken pieces, onion, veggies on hand (a bag of frozen peas and carrots is really easy), and sometimes egg (you can scoot the contents of the pan to the side and crack some eggs right into the pan and scramble them up) all in some olive oil or butter. You can add soy sauce at the end.
    The possibilities are endless with the leftovers.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Some go to meals for us are

Pasta (usually Penne) with frozen turkey meatballs (from TJ) and a jar of organic marinara (or I make a sauce from canned tomatoes, onion, zucchini) garlic bread and salad(only DH and I eat the salad though)

tacos ... ground turkey, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, shredded cheese, guacamole. I usually make some rice (kids are not thrilled with canned beans but if yours will eat it, I'd add beans). you can make fried shells or eat soft tacos.

chicken tenders on the grill ( I marinate in seasoned salt, garlic powder, EVOO, soy sauce, agave and a little lemon), rice, green beans. sometimes I buy a package of Bul Kogi from TJ's to also pop on the grill (my boys love it).

turkey meatloaf, mashed potatoes and broccoli

Chicken tenders, basmati rice and roasted cauliflower. We like to use TJ's yellow curry sauce (DS2 does as well) and DS1 usually will just use some BBQ sauce for his chicken.

Ok easy peasy chicken parm & angel hair pasta! Bell & evens chicken patties breaded & w/ mozzarella IN them - put fresh mozzarella on top at the end. Serve w/ a veggie & angel hair & jarred sauce. YUM!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    www.infantreflux.org
    ~laura in miami~
    ds1 7/03
    ds2 7/06
    Welcome/Intro to Infantreflux (I'm a Mod)

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

made this soup tonite in the Blendtec and it was SO quick and easy, and actually pretty good. i didn't leave work until after 6pm and when i got home all i had to do was literally throw everything in. i followed the recipe but forgot cilantro and used veggie broth instead of water, and real garlic, and threw in jalapenos for a kick. i added cooked chicken (boiled the night before) and some natural tortilla chips and pulsed it in at the very end. it was pretty good!!

http://www.blendtec.com/recipes/tortilla-soup

Also, on monday I made butternut squash bisque. it's not super fast (takes over an hour) but a lot of it is just simmering time, so i was able to make it on the day i had to pick up the kids and dh did not get home until late, and i could clean up/monitor DS doing homework while it was cooking

1.5 lbs butternut squash, cubed
    2 c veggie or chicken broth
    1 onion
    2 tbs butter
    1/2 tsp allspice (sometimes use mixture of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg)
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    1/8 tsp gnd white pepper
    1 c half and half (i use coconut milk or almond milk combo to make it non-dairy)

saute onion in melted butter, then throw in broth & squash. boil then simmer for 20-25mins, let cool a bit. puree everything in Vitamix (i like it super creamy). re add to pot and toss in allspice, salt, white pepper. i made this with the kids and they had fun watching.

And made this curried roasted veggies earlier in the week - this is super easy, especially if you buy the pre-cut cauliflower & carrots bags. pretty much just toss in with red onion wedges, toss oil/curry mixture and pop in the oven. it also is not super fast (have to roast for 40 minutes) but again love it bc while it's roasting i can do other things.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...ts-recipe.html

And as for super easy, DH will get chicken breasts from costco and toss it in slow cooker with a mega-jar of green salsa (also from Costco) and cook in on low for ~8 hrs.. comes out pretty good!!
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 10-22-2015 at 10:28 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default What are your go-to easy recipes for dinner?

Quote Originally Posted by [emoji813
    ms.pacman;4142690]made this soup tonite in the Blendtec and it was SO quick and easy, and actually pretty good. i didn't leave work until after 6pm and when i got home all i had to do was literally throw everything in. i followed the recipe but forgot cilantro and used veggie broth instead of water, and real garlic, and threw in jalapenos for a kick. i added cooked chicken (boiled the night before) and some natural tortilla chips and pulsed it in at the very end. it was pretty good!!

http://www.blendtec.com/recipes/tortilla-soup

Also, on monday I made butternut squash bisque. it's not super fast (takes over an hour) but a lot of it is just simmering time, so i was able to make it on the day i had to pick up the kids and dh did not get home until late, and i could clean up/monitor DS doing homework while it was cooking

1.5 lbs butternut squash, cubed
    2 c veggie or chicken broth
    1 onion
    2 tbs butter
    1/2 tsp allspice (sometimes use mixture of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg)
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    1/8 tsp gnd white pepper
    1 c half and half (i use coconut milk or almond milk combo to make it non-dairy)

saute onion in melted butter, then throw in broth & squash. boil then simmer for 20-25mins, let cool a bit. puree everything in Vitamix (i like it super creamy). re add to pot and toss in allspice, salt, white pepper. i made this with the kids and they had fun watching.

And made this curried roasted veggies earlier in the week - this is super easy, especially if you buy the pre-cut cauliflower & carrots bags. pretty much just toss in with red onion wedges, toss oil/curry mixture and pop in the oven. it also is not super fast (have to roast for 40 minutes) but again love it bc while it's roasting i can do other things.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...ts-recipe.html

And as for super easy, DH will get chicken breasts from costco and toss it in slow cooker with a mega-jar of green salsa (also from Costco) and cook in on low for ~8 hrs.. comes out pretty good!!
    Add some shallots next time to the soup. They really add a great flavor. ETA- and if you roast the butternut squash, it cooks fast. You can also buy it almost diced and frozen and those pieces roast up in under 20 minutes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2