Default Does this exist? (Train Table)

So DH wants us to get a train table for DS. We found a reasonably priced one at Target. We already have a Brio train set. However, it seems like something that takes up a ton of space for one limited use. Are there train tables that don't cost a zillion dollars that have some sort of top you can put on so the table can also be used for drawing, building with blocks, playing with cars, etc.? I saw some with lego tops, which I guess would be ok, but I was thinking more of a flat top that made it into a flat table.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    So DH wants us to get a train table for DS. We found a reasonably priced one at Target. We already have a Brio train set. However, it seems like something that takes up a ton of space for one limited use. Are there train tables that don't cost a zillion dollars that have some sort of top you can put on so the table can also be used for drawing, building with blocks, playing with cars, etc.? I saw some with lego tops, which I guess would be ok, but I was thinking more of a flat top that made it into a flat table.
    Try craigslist and look for the imaginarium style. We had one. DS1 used it for 6 months or so from about 18months till 2. Then he got good at building his own tracks and built all over the floor b/c it has more space. DS2 always totally ignored the train table and built all over the floor from the start. I sold it this summer and they didn't even notice it was gone [from their room!] PLEASE buy it used!
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    My dad got us a Nilo table off of Craigslist. Back in the day we used it as a Train Table. then we picked up the tracks and used it for drawing (and stuff piling). Now it is being used for Legos.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We got one of the smaller Imaganarium tables (super cheap at Toys R Us for Black Friday) and I'm glad we didn't get a bigger one. Right now it's home to our Octonaut and Star Wars toys. It's a good height for a play space, but not too big. It never held the same appeal that the train tables at Barnes & Noble or our local train park did. Stuff like that is always more fun somewhere else it seems.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We bought a table off Craigslist from Pottery Barn. It has two huge drawers under it on casters. One drawer has Legos, one has train stuff. It looks like a nice big coffee table, and makes clean up so easy!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Do you mean a top that goes over the train set on the table? That would be nifty but have never seen one like that. Ours is a circo table from target that I found on steep clearance. The boards on top can be flipped over, one side is plain white, the other has grass and rivers on it. Dh thought I was nuts to buy it but DD2 was loving trains at that point and I was tired of walking over tracks everywhere. My girls are now 9 and almost 7 and that table still gets used a ton their playroom. They have used it for trains, little people, play mobile, dinosaurs, and currently legos. They love to make elaborate "set ups" as they call them and the train table is a great height where they can sit or kneel on the floor and play at it.

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    Do you mean a top that goes over the train set on the table? That would be nifty but have never seen one like that. Ours is a circo table from target that I found on steep clearance. The boards on top can be flipped over, one side is plain white, the other has grass and rivers on it. Dh thought I was nuts to buy it but DD2 was loving trains at that point and I was tired of walking over tracks everywhere. My girls are now 9 and almost 7 and that table still gets used a ton their playroom. They have used it for trains, little people, play mobile, dinosaurs, and currently legos. They love to make elaborate "set ups" as they call them and the train table is a great height where they can sit or kneel on the floor and play at it.
    Yes, that it what I was thinking of. Hmm, if DH is set on a train table maybe he can make a top for it. He is pretty handy. Really I would rather just have a plain multipurpose table though....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Ours was a kidkraft model similar to the circo model described above. With rolling drawers underneath. $20 on CL. It didn't get a lot of love the last year or so so I turned around and sold it for the same amount.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

IKEA! We spent like $200 bucks for a kidkraft train table for DS when he was about 3 and it never got any love and didn't hold up well. It needed replacing after only two years because it was falling apart so DS could have a better Lego table. It was worth the long drive to get a cheap but very sturdy table from Ikea. His is actually a coffee table and it's perfect for kids since its low and would have been a better train table than the one we bought. Plus it has more versatility and can grow with the child for puzzles, building, drawing, etc.

http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2013...go-meets-lack/
    The storage underneath is great. We have bins for Legos but you could easily put trains and tracks underneath. I think it was like $30 for the table and so much sturdier than target stuff.
    Last edited by ExcitedMamma; 10-10-2015 at 01:20 PM.

Ooh, I like the ikea table!! We have one about an hour away and go up there every few months anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17