Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I may have underestimated DD's height. Tens are too short. Plus she can't even pull them all the way up. Size 12 shirts are skintight on her. She she weighs 86 pounds and is big boned. We are currently dealing with and endocrine condition that is contributing to the weight. Meanwhile I'm trying to find clothes that fit her without being too old for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HIU8 View Post
    I may have underestimated DD's height. Tens are too short. Plus she can't even pull them all the way up. Size 12 shirts are skintight on her. She she weighs 86 pounds and is big boned. We are currently dealing with and endocrine condition that is contributing to the weight. Meanwhile I'm trying to find clothes that fit her without being too old for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You could also look at some basics for juniors like long sleeved tees and leggings. I would also go with flowy gypsy skirts (again, see mini Boden) to wear over leggings rather than fitted styles.

for Sandy Hook

Over the past two years, I've been happiest with LE for my DD#1, who's now almost 10, and was 4' 10 3/4" and 105# at her well visit in August (with broad shoulders, and a chubby belly). She wore size 12 pants/size 14 leggings and size 14 tops last year, and has transitioned into size 14 pants/size 16 leggings this year. Most of her size 14 tops from last year still fit, albeit without much growing room, and our new top purchases are size 16 (mostly regular, but with the occasional plus size in a more fitted style).

Although she has a couple of junior (or misses) size tees, I've been much happier with the "less fitted" LE girls tops on DD#1. (She has a couple of pairs of junior (or misses) size leggings this year, and these fit just fine.)
    Last edited by mommytoC; 10-14-2015 at 09:46 AM.
    A, mommytoC (DD#1, born 11/05)...and to K (DD#2, born 4/09)!

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mommytoC View Post
    Over the past two years, I've been happiest with LE for my DD#1, who's now almost 10, and was 4' 10 3/4" and 105# at her well visit in August (with broad shoulders, and a chubby belly). She wore size 12 pants/size 14 leggings and size 14 tops last year, and has transitioned into size 14 pants/size 16 leggings this year. Most of her size 14 tops from last year still fit, albeit without much growing room, and our new top purchases are size 16 (mostly regular, but with the occasional plus size in a more fitted style).

Although she has a couple of junior (or misses) size tees, I've been much happier with the "less fitted" LE girls tops on DD#1. (She has a couple of pairs of junior (or misses) size leggings this year, and these fit just fine.)
    Sounds a lot like my DGD1, who is now 11, and after growing like a weed this summer, is just over 5' (not sure about weight). She's still wearing size 16 in LE, especially their loose-fit knit dresses and leggings, but before too long, we'll have to leave the girls' sizes behind.

LE works well for us, both the styles that make it easy to follow her school's dress code and the online ordering that makes it easy for bargain-hungry grandmas, but I'm not sure what happens when she outgrows girls 16. Looks like LE has very few junior sizes, mostly in the school uniform basics, so I guess we'll have to start experimenting with misses sizes... Any tips?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You may find that plus size lines fit your DD better. LE and Old Navy both have extensive plus selections (online only, unfortunately), and Children's Place has a very limited selection of pants (including soft jeans) in extended sizes.

My only caution with LE is that their shirts either run short or shrink a lot (not sure which). My 9yo DD is not particularly tall (somewhere around 54 inches), and I think the shirts need an extra few inches to cover her well when she raises her arms. They are selling a lot of "legging tops," which mostly just look like dresses to me but offer that additional length.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Looks like LE has very few junior sizes, mostly in the school uniform basics, so I guess we'll have to start experimenting with misses sizes... Any tips?

In my experience size 16 in kids is closest to a size 2 or XS in misses. I can wear a lot of size 16s, and am mostly a 2, sometimes petite and sometimes regular, sometimes a 4, and very rarely a 0. I'm 5'3" and around 110 lbs.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    In my experience size 16 in kids is closest to a size 2 or XS in misses. I can wear a lot of size 16s, and am mostly a 2, sometimes petite and sometimes regular, sometimes a 4, and very rarely a 0. I'm 5'3" and around 110 lbs.
    Thanks -- this is very helpful. I'm hoping we can get as much mileage as possible out of girls 16's before we make the big leaps in price (ouch!) and styles.

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DD is tall and has always been solid. At 8, we got a lot of Children Place and Lands End basics. She did not really wear jeans until the last year or two. Regular jeans were too tight and uncomfortable, but plus sized looked ridiculous. She is long torsoed - she was too tall for girls shirts last fall and got a lot of xs lands end. This fall the 16 pants barely fit and we're still trying to find a good fit in juniors or misses jeans. Old Navy and Kohls were both promoising.
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

My now 12.5 y/o was about that size. No one believed she wore plus but it just fit so much better a lot of the time. Plus was the definite way to go for some decent pants and sometimes shirts from gap or old navy if I got them on sale. Check online- we liked old navy a lot (online) was pretty good then because it didn't run so narrow. Online plus sizes: Lands end, TCP, jcpenny, kohls, crazy 8, gap, Justice (and my DD was never into the glitter stuff but had plenty of tees, sweaters, shorts, jeans etc from Justice) Anyway, look online, many stores have plus sizes online only or way more. Junior clothes are so skinny IMO she was better to stick with kids as long as she could- the size 18 in justice was life saving. Just see what works- justice plus is barely bigger than regular but kohls plus is more than a size up, old navy varied by item.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2