Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Washable cotton comforter (not duvet cover)?

I've almost had it with trying to make the top bunk bed! Of course my kids would love the grippy jersey/flannel sheets that make it even harder to make the bed. The flat sheet always ends up in a ball at the foot of the bed, and working against its superglue-like properties is a thankless battle.

I love the idea of a bunk bed or loft to save on space, so I want to make this work without losing my mind.

I bought cotton comforters last year, but then read that once you wash them (this particular brand -- Hilfiger), they are ruined because the filling bunches up into one area and can't be spread out. I haven't even tried to wash them. I had a cotton comforter from college until I was married (10+ years) that I washed all the time and it always looked great. I never used a flat sheet when I had that comforter. My sister now has had it for 15 years, and it's still going strong!

I'd LOVE to find something with that kind of durability so that I can finally ditch the bunk bed trauma! It just needs to be cotton or mostly cotton. We can't handle the feel of synthetics for bedding.

Duvet covers are a whole other level of trauma for me, so those are not an option.

ETA: I don't care much about fading... I'll take fading over bunching issues.
    Last edited by pastrygirl; 10-19-2015 at 01:02 PM.

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

What size? DD has had a Target cotton comforter (Circo, maybe?) for years and it's washed great for us. It is from the kids line and only come in twin size, I believe. I keep thinking she's going to age out of the design and want a different one, but since it's reversible, she now likes to use the opposite (patterned) side.

Twin. I loved our Circo quilts -- they always washed up well. I'll take a look at the comforters, thanks!

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Oh dear, I think ours might be a Circo quilt, not a comforter. I just looked it up on the Target website and even though they don't sell the one DD has anymore, I *think* it would have been classified as a quilt because of all the stitching inside it. Any reason to switch to a comforter from your quilt? Just a new look, or are they warmer? If you are going for warmer, than would your kids tolerate a blanket between the flat sheet and the quilt? My kids love the weight of heavier blankets over them in the winter.

Comforters have a lot of stuffing, like a duvet, so they are warmer than quilts. I'm trying to eliminate layers so that my son just has to pull one thing up and his bed is made.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've been happy with light-to-midweight comforters from IKEA.

No complaints about washing them, and I haven't noticed the fill bunching.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've been very happy with our garnet hill primaloft ones. We've dealt with a fair amount of bed wetting so they've been washed many times

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The top bunk is really a challenge. Instead of a comforter, my DIL used a sleeping bag on top of the fitted sheet for the top and bottom bunk. The boys slipped into the sleeping bag very easily at night and stayed covered.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have this on our top bunk and like it a lot. Target, 100% cotton, survived the first wash very well (we dried on low). We ahve the same on on the bottom bunk - both boys are pleased. http://www.target.com/p/reversible-s...Star+Quilt+Set

ETA: We have flannel sheets on the bed with it, if that helps. Hasn't been an issue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast