Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    OP here, thanks for all of your insight.
    I think his latch may not be the best. I notice is lips are in rather than out. Quite literally it feels like some is squeezing and twisting my nipples with needle nose pliers. If I really slow him down and really guide him t is not as bad. But still, they are pretty sore. I am using lanolin after every nursing session and that has help with dry/chapped issues. But the soreness, omg! It probably doesn't help that I have the early nursing envorgement either. I am hoping this will pass quickly. Any tips to get him to latch better automatically? DD latched correctly from the beginning. TIA!
    Can you help readjust his lips after he is latched on? Have you tried the football hold? Also, try squeezing your breast like a sandwich to help him get a better latch. You want him to have a wide mouth and it sounds like his lips being in might preventing that. Also put milk on yourself after nursing and let that dry first before using lanolin. That will help with pain too. Really does sound like his latch needs some adjustment. Try La Leche League if you can. They might even send someone to your house if they have someone available. Hang in there, it will get much easier!

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    I'll be the voice of dissent. Latching on brought tears to my eyes with DD #1. We saw a lactation consultant and several doctors weighed in and they all said the same thing - I was doing everything right. The first 6 weeks were brutal, but it did get better and I nursed for 13 months. I think sometimes it really just does just hurt in the beginning.

That said, definitely get someone to eyeball the situation for you in case there is something that could be done differently! I found that changing my hold and nursling lying down helped alleviate the pain.
    Completely agree with everything here. Before my sons came, I felt like so many people told me, "if it hurts, something isnt right." So I saw so many doctors, nurse, lactation consultants, laleche leage leaders for the first 4 weeks of DS's life because I swore something wasn't right with his latch. I experienced the same kind of pain you describe. I had to have a pillow near me solely so that I could squeeze it when DS latched on. After about 5-15 seconds of nursing it was much more bearable, but initially it was excruciating. Each professional and breastfeeding expert I saw told me "everything looks great," "keep doing what you're doing." It did get better after the first 4-5 weeks, and by week 6ish, it was pain free. But initially, it was SOOOOO painful. So, long story short, for me, what you are experiencing was "normal."

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I had to stop as soon as I read this to say that it can be totally normal for it to hurt like crazy early on. With both DD's, even when latch was okay, I'd start to nurse, and get let-down almost immediately (I was so engorged early on too, that didn't help).....and it would HURT SO BAD for the first 30 seconds or so. I'm talking brings tears to my eyes, have to clench my teeth, can't speak pain. And then after about 30 seconds, it would get way better, and the rest of the nursing session was fine. With both girls, this happened every nursing session for the first few weeks -- and then it was gone and nursing has been totally pain-free since then. Don't give up, and don't get discouraged because so many people say "if it hurts, something's wrong". I just found that's totally not true (for me or several friends) -- but it can still be healthy normal nursing.

But, if you have access to a lactation consultant, I'd also suggest you meet with one -- even though all was going "fine", it really helped my confidence to have some reassurance from a pro, and she also gave me some ideas and positioning help that were just slightly different from what I had been doing that made a difference.
    Lizi

Mommy_Mea is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    I'll be the voice of dissent. Latching on brought tears to my eyes with DD #1. We saw a lactation consultant and several doctors weighed in and they all said the same thing - I was doing everything right. The first 6 weeks were brutal, but it did get better and I nursed for 13 months. I think sometimes it really just does just hurt in the beginning.

That said, definitely get someone to eyeball the situation for you in case there is something that could be done differently! I found that changing my hold and nursling lying down helped alleviate the pain.
    This was my experience with DS1 as well. I tried everything, spending $$ on lactation consultants, every position, etc, but in the end it just seemed to take time. I nursed him until 14 months, and the pain went away after the first few months. DS2 hurt, but not nearly as much...
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I agree with the advice many PPs are giving: could be totally normal for you/ your child, but check with a lactation consultant if you can. My ped has a nurse on staff who is also a LC, as did my OB with my DS. I remember having to curl my toes and bite my lip every time DS latched for at least several weeks. And that was after seeing the LC. I found it key to make sure his mouth was open very wide before trying to latch. Good luck to you. Hope things improve quickly.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Update...
    So I have been really careful to make sure he is latching correctly. It has gotten much better and I no longer cringe when it is feeding time. I think is was a combination of new nursing, engorgement and a bad latch. Thanks again for all of your help!
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yay! So glad to hear it's gotten so much better. Kudos to you for working through it!
    Lizi

Hooray!!!!! I'm so glad it's gotten easier!

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Great update!

for Sandy Hook

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2