Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Breastfeeding:Is this normal? Update in 16.

Please forgive me, it has been almost 5 years since I had a newborn. So I feel like I am relearning everything. DS was born last week. He nurses well, but when he latches on it HURTS! As he nurses it is slightly uncomfortable but not too bad. But the latching brings tears to my eyes, I have to hold my breath. Is this normal with early nursing? Anything I can do? I don't remember this with DD but it was a while ago. TIA!
    Last edited by trcy; 11-03-2015 at 04:29 PM.
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    Please forgive me, it has been almost 5 years since I had a newborn. So I feel like I am relearning everything. DS was born last week. He nurses well, but when he latches on it HURTS! As he nurses it is slightly uncomfortable but not too bad. But the latching brings tears to my eyes, I have to hold my breath. Is this normal with early nursing? Anything I can do? I don't remember this with DD but it was a while ago. TIA!
    A little tenderness is normal but it shouldn't hurt quite that bad. Lots of people experience that level of pain though, so its not unusual. That being said, you shouldn't have to have that much pain. Is there a La Leche League in your area? Or does your hospital/ birthing center have a lactation consultant? Most likely it is an issue with his latch that can be fixed Also, have you tried different nursing positions? And good job Momma for not giving up!

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I agree. What I recall is that breasts have to be re-acquainted with the chafing factor (kind of like developing callouses on fingers for guitar playing ). So you end up with irritation, but there shouldn't be pain. I wonder if he needs help with his latch. Does lanolin/lansinoh make it any better?

I am so sorry, and hope you can get some help soon!

for Sandy Hook

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That sounds like he is tongue tied. I would see a lactation consultant and/or have a doctor look for tongue tie. I do think a change of positions may help too. I had this issue with both kids at times. It is awful. It is definitely not right. Congrats btw!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If you sucked on your pinky for many hours/ day, it'd be sore too. But, shouldn't hurt that much. Mother Love nip cream is awesome stuff!

I'll be the voice of dissent. Latching on brought tears to my eyes with DD #1. We saw a lactation consultant and several doctors weighed in and they all said the same thing - I was doing everything right. The first 6 weeks were brutal, but it did get better and I nursed for 13 months. I think sometimes it really just does just hurt in the beginning.

That said, definitely get someone to eyeball the situation for you in case there is something that could be done differently! I found that changing my hold and nursling lying down helped alleviate the pain.
    Green Tea, mom to three

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    I'll be the voice of dissent. Latching on brought tears to my eyes with DD #1. We saw a lactation consultant and several doctors weighed in and they all said the same thing - I was doing everything right. The first 6 weeks were brutal, but it did get better and I nursed for 13 months. I think sometimes it really just does just hurt in the beginning.

That said, definitely get someone to eyeball the situation for you in case there is something that could be done differently! I found that changing my hold and nursling lying down helped alleviate the pain.
    This was my experience with my 2nd. He had a really strong latch and it flat out hurt when he chomped down. I saw two lactation counselors and my dr to make sure our positioning was good and was extra gentle between feedings with lots of cream and loose clothing. I also used the softshell covers between feedings for a bit.

It did subside in a few weeks but I can't remember how long. We also introduced a pacifier fairly early on to give when he seemed to be comfort nursing because he was gaining well and just seemed to have a very strong sucking urge. After things evened out he was a champion nurser and we continued comfortably for well over a year. I'm so glad I stuck out the painful first days.

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Really hurt with both the first 3-4 weeks of latching on and then it was totally fine and pain free! I seriously couldn't believe they didn't have teeth the pain was so awful. The Medela lanolin helped a lot and it just gradually got better.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

OP here, thanks for all of your insight.
    I think his latch may not be the best. I notice is lips are in rather than out. Quite literally it feels like some is squeezing and twisting my nipples with needle nose pliers. If I really slow him down and really guide him t is not as bad. But still, they are pretty sore. I am using lanolin after every nursing session and that has help with dry/chapped issues. But the soreness, omg! It probably doesn't help that I have the early nursing envorgement either. I am hoping this will pass quickly. Any tips to get him to latch better automatically? DD latched correctly from the beginning. TIA!
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    OP here, thanks for all of your insight.
    I think his latch may not be the best. I notice is lips are in rather than out. Quite literally it feels like some is squeezing and twisting my nipples with needle nose pliers. If I really slow him down and really guide him t is not as bad. But still, they are pretty sore. I am using lanolin after every nursing session and that has help with dry/chapped issues. But the soreness, omg! It probably doesn't help that I have the early nursing envorgement either. I am hoping this will pass quickly. Any tips to get him to latch better automatically? DD latched correctly from the beginning. TIA!
    I would definitely try to contact a lactation consultant. Many areas have them available free of charge. With DS, who's my oldest, I had lots of trouble nursing. He was tongue tied, but even after that was fixed I had a lot of pain. I used nipple shields, and they helped enormously! I used them for longer than I should have, probably, a couple of months, I think. I went on to nurse him for a little over two years. We also used holds like the football hold and such, and that helped. DD latched fine right away, I held her right in front, and I didn't have any pain from nursing her, so it can be very different depending on the baby and other factors. You can get the shields at Target, but a lactation consultant will probably have them to give you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast