Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Pumpkin spice in brownies or not?

I love pumpkin and chocolate. I started wondering if I could add pumpkin to brownies, and searched on-line. I found a lot of recipes in which pumpkin puree is substituted for eggs and/or butter/oil, but they all say you can't taste the pumpkin. I want to taste pumpkin! Then I find other recipes where you mix pumpkin, pumpkin spice, and cream cheese separately and either use that as frosting or some other layer for the brownies. I'm not a fan of adding cream cheese. So, I am wondering if it would taste good to add the pumpkin spice (along with pumpkin) directly to that brownies or not. Has anyone tried this?
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

I have not tried it, but I don't think I'd care for it. I like pumpkin things (pie, muffins, donuts, etc.) and I like brownies, but I would prefer to enjoy them separately. Kind of like how I prefer not to have chocolate chips in things like banana bread. But it's totally personal preference -- if you think it sounds good you should go for it!
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    I have not tried it, but I don't think I'd care for it. I like pumpkin things (pie, muffins, donuts, etc.) and I like brownies, but I would prefer to enjoy them separately. Kind of like how I prefer not to have chocolate chips in things like banana bread. But it's totally personal preference -- if you think it sounds good you should go for it!
    Thanks for the response! I love chocolate chips in banana bread!! I honestly would imagine that chocolate pumpkin would taste good, but not sure...
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    This is me. I do like chocolate chips in banana bread but I wouldn't like them in apple pie or anything with cinnamon really . I just don't think cinnamon and chocolate taste good together. To give pumpkin desserts that particular flavour you add cinnamon, cloves, powdered ginger. Not good combos with chocolate (although I'm willing to give anything with chocolate the benefit of the doubt at least once ).
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Thanks for the response! I love chocolate chips in banana bread!! I honestly would imagine that chocolate pumpkin would taste good, but not sure...
    Well, pumpkin bread with chocolate chips in it is really good. I'm note sure about pumpkin spice brownies though....
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If it were me, I would do Blondies with chocolate chips instead. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the pie spices plus chocolate batter, but I could see it with semisweet chips or chunks.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think the chocolate flavor in brownies would be too overwhelming to get any pumpkin flavor to come through. I would think pumpkin bread with chocolate chips or some sort of pumpkin bar with a chocolate drizzle on top would give you a better chance at both flavors coming through. But I have no BTDT.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

jam224 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I LOVE chocolate chip pumpkin cake and cookies! That's normally my go-to for the chocolate & pumpkin combo. But I searched Pinterest and found a few recipes that look yummy:
    Pumpkin Swirl Brownies via Betty Crocker
    Three Layer Pumpkin Brownies via Back to Her Roots
    Pumpkin Pie Brownies via Sprinkle Some Sugar
    Please report back if you try any with success!
    Jennifer
    SAHM to DD1 (11yo) and DD2 (5yo)

Thanks everyone! Thanks jam224 for the recipes.

I'm not really into doing multiple layers, and I think you all have adequately convinced me that I don't want to mix pumpkin and chocolate..however, what I do want to try is these

http://www.averiecooks.com/2014/09/s...m_source=email

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Thanks everyone! Thanks jam224 for the recipes.

I'm not really into doing multiple layers, and I think you all have adequately convinced me that I don't want to mix pumpkin and chocolate..however, what I do want to try is these

http://www.averiecooks.com/2014/09/s...m_source=email
    those look amazing!
    DS 2/09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast