Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Purging Baby/kid items

I have a hard time letting go of certain baby items, like the Gymboree type blankets. I was still hanging onto those for some reason.
    With the kid's help, I chose one blanket for each child to keep in their memory box. I took pictures of the rest of them to use as photo book backgrounds one day so now I can give those away to an organization that collects baby items for low income mothers :-)

As far as clothes go, I chose a couple of outfits per child and donated the rest. In that case, I already had pictures of the kids wearing them.

I plan to take pictures of some of the cherished toys, particularly playMobil. I think I am really attached to those :-) A picture takes up hardly any space but can still bring back the memories. Why clutter our houses with stuff that will probably never get used again?
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My mother quilts so I am planning to have her make a quilt for each DC with their baby blankets. I have a plastic bin with a few favorite outfits. All other clothes were passed down, consigned or donated. I have given a lot of toys, books, etc to my mom bc she has a playroom for when the local grandkids come over. I also have a plastic tub of cherished and timeless toys and books that I am saving to either give to DC when they become parents or to have at my house for when the grandkids visit.

[QUOTE=Globetrotter;4143210]I have a hard time letting go of certain baby items, like the Gymboree type blankets. I was still hanging onto those for some reason.
    With the kid's help, I chose one blanket for each child to keep in their memory box. I took pictures of the rest of them to use as photo book backgrounds one day so now I can give those away to an organization that collects baby items for low income mothers :-)

As far as clothes go, I chose a couple of outfits per child and donated the rest. In that case, I already had pictures of the kids wearing them.

I plan to take pictures of some of the cherished toys, particularly playMobil. I think I am really attached to those :-) A picture takes up hardly any space but can still bring back the memories. Why clutter our houses with stuff that will probably never get used again?[/QUOTE

As much as I love to purge, I have the hardest time with baby stuff! I've gotten rid of most baby toys but there are a few I've kept...same goes for outfits except I have more of those... . I have 3 space bags of baby outfits, as well as a baby box for each child (which I will keep since it sparks joy). But I even have papers from my mommy and me and lamaze classes I can't get rid of. I know logically the papers have served their purpose but it was one of my favorite times in my life....being pregnant and when my kids were babies. I still think about them being babies every day. I am definitely attached to that time period!

I can see why mementos are saved for last with the Marie Kondo method, and if I can part with other things, but still wind up holding onto the baby memories, I guess it isn't too bad!

Just recently I finally got rid of baby towels and washcloths, as well as baby bath stuff I still had! I still have some blankets but I've pared them down immensely!
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009