Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default winter coat for school/recess?

DS1 needs another winter coat for school and i'm on the hunt for a warm, easy to play in coat as he plays outside for recess TWICE a day, even during winter barring extreme cold temps or unsafe ice conditions. Last year he was in a different preschool where they didn't play outside much of the winter.

I bought DS1 two winters ago i think from LLB; down coat that still fits him but barely. cuffs on his wrists slip up quite a bit.

i buy from Lands end and LLB; which coats would you recommend for very active boy who loves to run,jump etc? same goes for boots as currently he wears his bogs boot but im wondering whether it'll be warm enough for him this winter as each recess period is a good 25 mins of outdoor time.
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I buy a parka from LL Bean. Lately its been the Snowfield Parka. Keeps the kids warm and its waterproof. We live in northern Vermont and my kids where BOGS (the classic kind) and they never complain about their feet being cold.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We had the non-fleece lined version of this (which they still sell) but this one looks even better. We loved the other one.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Lands End Expedition is great

We just went through our winter wear bin. My 10yr needed a new winter coat so I ordered a few different kinds to try ( he's an awkward size right now). Out of the Spider ski coat, a mini boden, Company kids and Lands End Sqaull and Expedition, he and I liked the LE Expedition best. DS loves the sleeve - thingies (where there is the hole to fit your thumb and the sleeve extends over the hand to protect from snow getting in the sleeve). I loved that the quality is excellent and seems substantial. We need a warm, waterproof winter coat for our Wisconsin winters. DS2 downhill skis every weekend in January and preferred this coat for that too.

We used to get the Kamuk boots from Kohl's but ours stopped carrying Kamuks. I've found the Lands End Velcro strapped Snow Plow boots be even better. The interior is fleece that is sewn into the boot so the insides don't pull out which is annoying. The reviews say they are waterproof too.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 10-28-2015 at 05:20 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    We just went through our winter wear bin. My 10yr needed a new winter coat so I ordered a few different kinds to try ( he's an awkward size right now). Out of the Spider ski coat, a mini boden, Company kids and Lands End Sqaull and Expedition, he and I liked the LE Expedition best. DS loves the sleeve - thingies (where there is the hole to fit your thumb and the sleeve extends over the hand to protect from snow getting in the sleeve). I loved that the quality is excellent and seems substantial. We need a warm, waterproof winter coat for our Wisconsin winters. DS2 downhill skis every weekend in January and preferred this coat for that too.

We used to get the Kamuk boots from Kohl's but ours stopped carrying Kamuks. I've found the Lands End Velcro strapped Snow Plow boots be even better. The interior is fleece that is sewn into the boot so the insides don't pull out which is annoying. The reviews say they are waterproof too.
    We bought the Expedition last year for ds1 since he's on ski club. It's great! Probably overkill for recess if OP doesn't live where it's super duper cold all winter.

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We are in snow country and our kids go out everyday unless its below 0. They have worn Lands End Squalls for the past few years and used them for recess, sledding and skiing. Neither kid has ever complained of being cold or wet. We have tried a range of boots from Kamiks to LLB to several different LE versions. All have been pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    he and I liked the LE Expedition best. DS loves the sleeve - thingies (where there is the hole to fit your thumb and the sleeve extends over the hand to protect from snow getting in the sleeve). I loved that the quality is excellent and seems substantial. We need a warm, waterproof winter coat for our Wisconsin winters. DS2 downhill skis every weekend in January and preferred this coat for that too.
    My kids LOVE Lands End coats because of this! I just picked a random coat off their website so you can see the sleeve cuffs. http://www.landsend.com/products/boy...82?sku_0=::O3T They keep my kids hands warm on cold-ish days where they don't quite need mittens for the car, and it's easy to buckle seatbelts since it's basically fingerless mittens. They also keep the sleeves down even when their arms are up above their heads.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

schrocat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I buy whichever winter coat is cheapest. Lands End has worked very well for us. Cheap and good. Keeps the kids warm and stays in good condition. Mini Boden has also worked well for us but it's not quite as affordable as Lands End even when it's on sale. Our Hanna Andersson jacket did not hold up well.

Following up on this thread. We're in the same boat, between DS being a year old, it already being a colder/wetter winter than last year and being at a play based preschool, we aren't up to snuff on outdoor coats. I'm having trouble telling the difference between the LE coats, specifically the Squall vs. the Stormer. Any recs? Day to day it's rare for it to be lower than 30, although we will be spending a couple weeks back east during the holidays.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast