Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Reporting this interview as evidence pointing to "
    Quote Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
    the increased risk of breast cancer and long-term use of antibiotics - even antibiotics for acne. "

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/healt...-cancer_02-17/

As a medical professional who has plenty of research and regularly deciphers medical research for the public - I just want to clarify this is not a repeated finding and causality (meaning that antibiotics cause cancer) was not even suggested in this study.
    Last edited by mnosky1; 11-14-2015 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatball Mommie View Post
    It really works? I have been hesitant because of the price tag, but my skin is worse now than when I was a teen! I saw a dermatologist even and I use Cetaphil to wash and an Rx antibiotic (? I think it is) to kill bacteria on my skin. I still have trouble and just suffered through a breakout. It's not acne like teens get, but pimples that take forever to heal because I have anemia and vitamin deficiencies (working on correcting).
    I'm also a huge clarisonic fan. I splurged on a pro 2 years ago and it really helps my skin, tho when this one dies I will just get a Mia as I don't use the body brush feature as much as I'd imagined I would. In general I think acne is not a one-size fits all situation. The "don't over exfoliate and go gentle" approach has never worked for me. I've come to the conclusion after YEARS of trial and error that my skin doesn't slough itself very well and literally needs the clarisonic to help keep things moving. I also use peels from makeup artists choice a few times a month, and either their gly-luronic serum or niacinamide serum. They sell generous samples so you can try them out.

That said, I DO think the gentle approach is the better way to start the trial and error process with a tween/teen. I don't have much faith in deems for anything other than skin cancer screens and mold removals- I have far better results now doing my hodge podge mix of stuff than I ever did when seeing a derm.

Quote Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
    Also, it's important to take into account the increased risk of breast cancer and long-term use of antibiotics - even antibiotics for acne. I also used antibiotics for acne as a teen and while they worked, I wish that I had pursued other alternatives instead because turns out that diet clears up my skin and topical things can work just as well without the long term health risk.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/healt...-cancer_02-17/
    Even if this study were completely false, my bigger concern is the overuse of antibiotics and the rise of super bugs. I heard an interview in which the researcher said most models predict that within OUR lifetime, antibiotics will become ineffective and we will be back in the pre-antibiotic era where people died of simple infections on a regular basis. Yes, I want my kids to have clear skin but not at the risk of their (and everyone else's) future health. Now, the meat industry is largely to blame for the overuse of abx but people are contributing by misusing and overusing them, as well. Just another aspect to think about.

As for diet, again it isn't one size fits all. Quitting dairy did nothing for me but wheat made all the difference in the world. I still have to be careful and I do break out around O and AF but so much better than in my 20s and 30s! Wheat made 80% improvement and clarisonic did the rest.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4