Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

13 or 14 I think, but I don't mind older if they aren't obnoxious or obviously making mischief! Lots of youth have fun party options so that helps the transition I think.
    K

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS's best friend turned 13 today, so they went trick-or-treating with another friend. DH dropped them off at the elementary school at 5:30 pm and they went to the nearby neighborhoods. I had thought DH was going to go with them, but nope, he showed up at home about 5 min after he left. I asked if he gave them any rules, such as not going in anyone's houses. Nope. Argh. But everything went fine and they were done after about 2 hours. I certainly hope they were respectful and polite! I can't imagine otherwise with my son and his best friend. I don't know the other boy at all, though.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I say until they go to college! I'll tell you why- teens are under so much stress these days as we have taken away their childhood! I make it a point to encourage fun, whenever possible, to balance the overload of homework and responsibilities.

I agree they need to be polite. As for wearing costumes, that is ideal, but I Think it's okay if they don't, esp. For boys. I also like this article: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6030982

my 12 year old went with her friends (and some parents) and they are already talking about what to be next year. I don't have a problem with high school kids if they wear a costume and have manners.
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

Our age limit is 12. Honestly (and I do not mean to offend but this is my opinion), I think it is a bit silly to see teens who could realistically have kids of their own out trick or treating. The teens have parties and other get- togethers to attend on Halloween. To me, it is kind of like bringing a 5 year old to a prom...But, hey, I realize that I am the odd person out on this.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It's funny, my older DD did not go out the last 2 years (when she was 12 and 13). But this year she asked if she could get a costume and ToT with her sister. So we did. And I have to say I saw a lot of kids that appeared to be in MS or early HS out this year. All were in costume and polite, so I have no issue with it.

This would have all appalled me a few years ago but now I get it.

teens are under so much stress these days as we have taken away their childhood! I make it a point to encourage fun, whenever possible, to balance
    the overload of homework and responsibilities.
    Absolutely My teen has 2-3 hours of homework a night, homework every weekend, and over school holidays. I feel like she has so little time to just be a kid and goof off. We live in a very type A area and on top of that she goes to a magnet HS. They expect these kids to be mini-adults. Things like Halloween give them a chance to extend their childhood.
    Last edited by egoldber; 11-01-2015 at 08:35 AM.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No limit here! I always loved trick-or-treating as a kid, and even now enjoy seeing the really cool costumes that teens come up with. One year, I saw a pack of Angry Birds. They even each made "their" sound as they walked around. It was awesome!

athompson is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My 6th grader went out and had a ball!
    Our neighborhood had five adult trick-or-treaters this year. They were at least 40 years old, had full costumes on, were with a group that included kids and said thank you. Totally fine in my book. Now without the thank you, the kids and the costume...my answer would be different
    Last edited by athompson; 11-01-2015 at 09:27 AM.

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default How old is too old to trick or treat?

Quote Originally Posted by stillplayswithbarbies View Post
    I don't have a problem with high school kids if they wear a costume and have manners.

I am not a Halloween person; however, I don't care how old the TOTers are that come to our door as long as they're into the spirit of the whole thing.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    My kids are younger but we definitely had several teens visit our house tonight. I'm totally fine with it as long as the kids are in costume and polite.

If you are looking for a more "scientific" answer:
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/h...k-or-treating/
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast