Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'm good with older kids as well. I'm not in a hurry to make kids grow up and be adults, just because they are 13 or 15 or whatever age.

DS1 is 11 and went last night. The kids we know that are in the young teens went, too.
    Kris

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm not going to impose a time limit. My 9th grader went out ToTing with a bunch of her friends; they dressed up around the Avengers theme (and ended up with two Supermans, LOL) and had a blast. I saw tons of middle schoolers and some high schoolers out last night; all were in costume. Any that come to our door need to be polite too, but it's never been an issue.
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I don't mind teenagers. As long as they took some effort to dress up and they are polite and not dropping the f bomb left and right (I cannot stand it when teens and YA use swear words around little kids), I don't care. I'd rather they be ToT, than up to no good doing other things...
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

The nicest kids that knocked on my door last night were middle and high school kids. They carried on a conversation at times, complimented my makeup and decorations and wished me a good night. It was refreshing and just plain nice.

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Both of my kids went trick-or-treating last night. My son is 11 years old and my daughter is 13 years old.

My daughter went as Maleficient and she did her own makeup. Plus she made her own Maleficient headpiece.
    She looked awesome!!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    So long as they are in costume and are respectful, I'm fine with teenagers trick or treating.
    But last night I saw a full grown man (35-40yo) trick or treating in a full costume with his kids. He was smiling at everyone saying out loud, "why shouldn't I trick or great with my kids?" I thought he was obnoxious. THAT is where I draw the line.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaTC View Post
    The nicest kids that knocked on my door last night were middle and high school kids. They carried on a conversation at times, complimented my makeup and decorations and wished me a good night. It was refreshing and just plain nice.
    I actually like seeing older kids who are still into the fun of it.

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    But last night I saw a full grown man (35-40yo) trick or treating in a full costume with his kids. He was smiling at everyone saying out loud, "why shouldn't I trick or great with my kids?" I thought he was obnoxious. THAT is where I draw the line.
    I'm all for dressing up to take the kids trick or treating, but I'm certainly not there to get my own candy. The last thing we need is MORE candy!

In our county each town has strict Halloween hours. This is FANTASTIC! Kids have an hour and a half to get to as many houses as they can, and by 7:30, the whole thing is over. There's not an overwhelming amount of candy, and it's pretty contained by neighborhood. We're also in a college town, so there are lots of college students and teens out. Usually they're helping out the littles, and they're not asking for candy at the doors, but they are in inventive costumes, and I always offer treats to anyone who comes to the door in costume. I figure that if you make the effort to dress up, you deserve some candy! Lots of adults dress up, too, and many houses put on a great show. It's very festive, and when you're out on the streets you end up seeing old friends you haven't seen in a while. It's kind of great, and there's really no age limit. That's how I think it should be, but I recognize that small town life is different, and it can't be like that everywhere.

DD is 11y9m and went this year. With her older sister's little ones living in town now, I assume she will ask to take them (or go with them) next year, and I'll probably say yes. Judging from last night, we still have a few years of T-o-T'ing--lots of DD's classmates/schoolmates were knocking. As with many other posters, a polite young person dressed in a costume is candy-worthy to me!
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast