Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS1 is 12 and went TOT'ing this year. I can't imagine him NOT TOT'ing any time soon as it's one of his favorite things of the year! I'm pretty sure I TOT'ed with friends throughout all of high school and I definitely had teens at my house on Saturday. I was in full costume when I took the kids around and actually was offered candy but I just said "no thank you, I'm the mom!)

I did talk to a friend yesterday who said she saw parents out, with their own bags, TOT'ing for themselves along with their kids. Now that is where I draw the line! Take candy from your kids once you get home like the rest of us!!!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I guess it depends. My 12-yo 6th grader was excited to go, but at least 4 adults told her she was too old. She just turned 12, and was with 5 other 12-year olds. However, she is 5'6" and sadly people felt the need to single her out. Kind of a bummer.

Tons of adults were dressed up here though.

My 6' tall just-turned-15-y.o. DS went with a neighbor friend (who's actually 6 months older, but shorter) and had a blast. I used to think it was unnecessary and obnoxious and maybe greedy for teens to go, but now that I have one of my own (and know they are just giant children walking the tricky balance between growing up and staying in their comfort zones) I don't mind. Though I agree they need to be in costume and use manners and common sense (which is sometimes harder for them to do than it was just a couple years ago!). I love that HuffPo article linked up thread - it made me cry again this year!

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

DS didn't ToT at age 10, but this year wanted to. Last year he appeared to enjoy just handing out candy and saying hi to his friends as they came by. He's not the tallest kid yet so I think he can for a few more years. At 13 or a major growth spurt I guess we'll re-evaluate.

I used to take my 3-year younger sister around and once I hit high school age was told I was too old by the people handing out candy. I was so embarrassed I stayed on the sidewalk after that. It really killed my enjoyment of the whole trick or treat thing for years.
    Last edited by rlu; 11-03-2015 at 08:12 PM.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

Normally we have the last year at age 12 unless they are taking younger sibs. My almost 15yr old went this year but he really made sure he had a good costume. I told him he wasn't leaving the house without a costume. I don't think he'll go next year. Not sure if the almost 12 yr old will go next year.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    Mom to 4 wonderful children

DS#1 7/96
    DS#2 11/00
    DD#1 11/03
    DD#2 6/08

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My oldest is 14, in 9th grade, and also happens to be 6'2'' tall! He initially wasn't sure if he would go trick or treating but 2 days before Halloween decided to buy a devil mask, wear a suit and go out with his friends! They had a great time and didn't encounter anyone questioning the 6 footer out trick or treating! We'll see what he decides to do next year!

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Stumbled across this old thread accidentally but was just having this conversation the other day irl. Thought I'd bump it up for Halloween. 😊
    K

jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My DD(13) is going. Most kids in her class of 8th graders still go. It's her favorite holiday. She talks about what costume she'll wear next year starting the day after Halloween.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thank you for bumping this. My 13 year old told me the other day that he thinks he's too old to go this year. He's 5'9" and said he'll just share the candy his brother gets. But I'm going to push him to go, either with us or with his friends. Last year he went to only 2 houses then had to go home (he'd suffered a bad concussion just a couple days prior, and was very weak and dizzy).

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jren View Post
    My DD(13) is going. Most kids in her class of 8th graders still go. It's her favorite holiday. She talks about what costume she'll wear next year starting the day after Halloween.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hadn't even thought about my 13 y.o. DGD1 being too old! She's also very much into planning costumes etc. and started talking about costumes well before school started this year. And for the first time in years, they live in a neighborhood and don't have to drive somewhere. She *IS* tall, but hopefully won't get too many nasty comments. Since DGD2 is only 6, maybe she'll get points for being a helpful big sister

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast