Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Emergency bag for tween girls??

I cannot believe I am posting this on "Baby Bargains" but I know a lot of you are there right now as well. DD1 just went through her Growth & Changes class and is very nervous about things happening while she's at school. Knowing my history, I doubt AF will happen anytime soon but one never knows these days. She was talking excitedly about "The Bag" that some parents have already given their girls for possible emergencies at school. If you've already done so with your girls, please share details so I know if I am missing anything before I gift mine.

- What type of bag did you choose? I am thinking about the Scout 3-Way Cosmetic Bag bc I like the layout, durability, and cute pattern, HOWEVER, I am not sure if I should go with something smaller and plain that doesn't stand out.

- I have a pair of neutral denim jeggings that's a little large (bought on clearance)...it should fold up nice & tight but they are not dark. I figured these are "emergency" and if they are something she'd normally wear, she would possibly take them out and forget to replace.

- I also have a pair of panties; tween pantyliner/pads (not interested in tampons just yet); travel-sized deodorant, personal flushable wipes, Shout wipes, and facial wipes.

Anything else???? When she is older I'll probably include a dose of ibuprofen but not right now. She already has the American Girl "Taking Care of You" books, although she's keeping those at a distance.

TIA!!!
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This thread needs to move to the new Tween/Teen section!

In any event, I am following b/c I really need to do this for DD1, but I keep forgetting. She just got back from the 6th grade class trip (4 days) and made it without any surprises. But on the way to drop her off(!!!) I gave her the talk on what to do/who to go to if it happened while she's away. (A little advice - don't do that. )
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    This thread needs to move to the new Tween/Teen section!

In any event, I am following b/c I really need to do this for DD1, but I keep forgetting. She just got back from the 6th grade class trip (4 days) and made it without any surprises. But on the way to drop her off(!!!) I gave her the talk on what to do/who to go to if it happened while she's away. (A little advice - don't do that. )
    OMG!!! I didn't know that section exists...YAY!!!! THANK YOU FOR THE RESPONSE!!

Poor Mom and DD!!! I cannot imagine having that discussion in the car on the way to a class trip! 😳

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Honestly, my 13 yr. old daughter would never carry the Scout bag to school. It's way too big & obvious that she may be on her period. My DD would not
    want anyone to know such personal stuff about her. My daughter has a little wristlet (from Thirty-One) and she keeps a few pads/tampons
    in it. The wristlet is kept in her locker and no one even knows she has it.

And regarding the ibuprofen, I'm surprised that your school would allow your daughter to carry that in her stuff. My daughter has a Permission
    to Dispense form filled out by her pediatrician and it is on file with the school nurse. The school nurse can dispense the ibuprofen if needed.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

My mom did this for me when I was your daughter's age. It was one of those free Clinique bags you get when they run their specials. I just had a change of underwear, some pads and some Advil (at the time, school was ok with that). I kept it in my locker (starting in 6th grade we had lockers - I didn't get my period until the end of 7th grade). She also gave me a shoebox of pads to keep under my bed (so I wouldn't be embarrassed by my stash in our bathroom).
    Karen
    -----------
    Mom to 2 hockey-playing, Lego-loving boys DS1 2003 & DS2 2005

We have a 31 wristlet. No change of pants in it.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My older DD uses this little bag we got at LLBean. She did not want anything flashy or obvious.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/76940...rganizer-small

For the first year, we did also keep a small plastic ziplock with a rolled up pair of black leggings and underwear in her backpack. That was after I had to call DH to take a change of clothes to her at school.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have a little 4x6 soft makeup bag that has a couple of pads in it. It is very small and plain. At her elementary school, the girls who started their periods could keep that bag of stuff in the "nurse's" office - in quotes because we don't have a nurse, lol. She never needed a change of underwear.

Now that she's in middle school, she keeps the same little bag in her locker or backpack. Also, do not put Advil in there, but if your kiddo does start, fill out the paperwork so they can take advil at school if they need to. She was told she could be expelled if she kept medicine in her locker! Probably not totally true, but it did have an impact on her during the first week of middle school.
    Last edited by squimp; 11-02-2015 at 02:04 PM.

Thank you so much for your responses!!! This bag would just stay in her locker/backpack...not something to carry around.

Beth, Thank you! This is what DD is afraid of. Good to know you just kept them in a separate bag...I am stressing trying to find a bag SMALL enough to hold everything.

Good to know about ibuprofen...definitely makes sense. DS goes to the nurse for everything...that didn't even occur to me.

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My dd just carries her supplies in the front pocket of her backpack. She often wears a hoodie, so she puts a pad in the pocket when needed. Her school allows girls to carry a small purse. Many girls have a vera bradley crossbody. My dd hasn't needed backup pants, but she did once wrap her hoodie around her waist. As for meds, I give her some before and after school but she hasn't needed them yet during school.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast