I am beating myself up something fierce because I just let DD get her ears pierced yesterday as part of her 9th birthday gift. I thought she would be able to put band aids or surgical tape over them for soccer games like we did when I was a kid, and even in high school, but apparently not. I should have checked with her coach, but honestly didn't realize that at her age, it would be that strict. Her coach is away with his family, but a friend's mom checked with her daughter's coach, and she is almost definitely going to be told she has to take them out or not play.

Is it even possible to take earrings out when the ears have only been pierced for a week? They're going to close up almost immediately, right? Everything I've seen online suggests that they'll start to close up, even if they're just out for an hour. My problem is that DD is a huge sports lover, and plays a sport, sometimes two, all year. I had her do it now because I thought that with three soccer games remaining, and the field hockey season over, they could have several weeks of healing before basketball begins. I really did not want fresh piercings for the start of basketball season...I have seen the way she and her friends manhandle each other and the ball. So, I clearly screwed this up, but is there any recourse short of letting them close or her having to sit out the game? I am very uncomfortable with her not playing over something like earrings, but I fear that's what she's going to want to do if her only other option is taking them out.