Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Disneyland over T-giving!

Any tips?? We went last year during the summer and loved it, but I suppose a few things are different in wintertime. Any must-sees? Looking forward to the cooler weather and the holiday decorations/parades dc are 4.5 and 5.5 and both are over 40 inches so looking forward to the "scarier" rides.

Also no need to get fast passes now right? Dh's friend kept insisting we had to get fast passes already as they were selling out but I think that is for Disney world correct, not DL?

Eta: we will be there for 5 nights..arriving Sat and leaving on Thurs. Debating now to get 5day pass (instead of 4day) so we can have part of Saturday in the parks ..I think it's not much extra..
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 11-02-2015 at 06:24 PM.

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    A

Also no need to get fast passes now right? Dh's friend kept insisting we had to get fast passes already as they were selling out but I think that is for Disney world correct, not DL?

You can't get fast passes for DL ahead of time.

All of the holiday stuff will be up then and some of the new Star Wars things will be ready too. It'll be crowded, but with that many days you should be able to do a lot. Have fun!

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It will be crazy busy and local schools are out that whole week, but since you will be there for so many days, you should get to see everything. Have fun!

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The Haunted Mansion will have Nightmare Before Christmas overlay; I think that is the only ride that really changes for the Holidays. For the few extra dollars, it might be worth it to get the 5day pass if you are arriving early enough that you would get more than a couple hours in the park that first day. You could get a chance to do a couple rides, see a parade before heading back to your room.
    I highly recommend watching the fireworks a few different times, from various vantage points in the park. We watched from Main Street, the Fantasmic viewing area, and from Tomorrowland. You can see different highlights of the show from each area.
    mom to Billy 12/07

They did some sort of Christmas overlay for It's a Small World in 2013. I don't know if that was in 2013 only, but they definitely did in December 2013.

If your kids are into Frozen, the last 2 years they've done really expensive thinly overlaid Frozen ice skating in Downtown Disney. I'm sure they will have ice skating again, it just might not be Frozen themed. It was really expensive skating and the rink was tiny.
    Last edited by rkold; 11-04-2015 at 10:33 AM.
    Mother to DD 10/2010

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rkold View Post
    They did some sort of Christmas overlay for It's a Small World in 2013. I don't know if that was in 2013 only, but they definitely did in December 2013..
    I think you are right about Small World. My DS hates it, so we only went on it once the entire year of our annual pass.
    mom to Billy 12/07

I'm a little late to the planning party It's been a hopping week with a grandson in the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    Any tips?? We went last year during the summer and loved it, but I suppose a few things are different in wintertime. Any must-sees? Looking forward to the cooler weather and the holiday decorations/parades dc are 4.5 and 5.5 and both are over 40 inches so looking forward to the "scarier" rides.
    There are multiple rides that are decorated for the holidays--namely Nightmare Before Christmas version of the Haunted Mansion, and it's a small world with a Christmas overlay. There's also a special Christmas parade, and tons of special treats!

FPs are only pre-ordered at WDW, with the FP+ system. For the record, they never "sell out" since they aren't for sale, unlike what many people seem to believe!

Eta: we will be there for 5 nights..arriving Sat and leaving on Thurs. Debating now to get 5day pass (instead of 4day) so we can have part of Saturday in the parks ..I think it's not much extra..
    It shouldn't be much extra at all to do this. That being said, Saturdays are notoriously busy, so I wouldn't expect to get much done... Maybe plan on seeing a parade, or having a special dinner. Most of the time, on our first night, we have a dinner in Downtown Disney, then do some window shopping, and head over for Cold Stone Creamery, followed by a dip in the pool. The traveling takes a lot out of our family, so the quiet evening before hitting the parks hard the following days is a necessity for us!

Remember, as I'm sure others have pointed out, that the parks may temporarily close the week you will be there. If you wait it out (generally), the gates will open back up shortly.
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thanks everyone for the replies! we leave the day after tomorrow, so excited!!

booked a lunch at Ariel's grotto. we loved it last time. it should be in the 70s on that day so it will be nice to sit outside...

and turns out we didn't book a stroller after all (oops), but i think we should be ok...DS is almost 6, and DD is 4.5, so i think they should be old enough to walk. i think it may make weaving thru crowds easier

thanks for the tips on Small World...i'm looking forward mostly to seeing the lights on that one after seeing photos online. Last time we went (last year) it was closed so we didn't get to see it at all.

Also will make sure to see the Haunted Mansion...last time didn't see that either as i think they were too young for it. the kids are still amped up from Halloween so have been asking about it.

and yeah, i'm sure Saturday will be crazy crowded. our plane gets in around noon on Sat, so we plan on just hanging out at hotel mostly, going to downtown disney and maybe trying to go on one ride and then seeing fireworks that evening.

Quote Originally Posted by lalasmama View Post

Remember, as I'm sure others have pointed out, that the parks may temporarily close the week you will be there. If you wait it out (generally), the gates will open back up shortly.
    hmm, didn't know about this..so it just closes when it gets too crowded??

thanks again, so excited!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Disneyland over T-giving!

Quote Originally Posted by [emoji813
    ms.pacman;4149097]thanks everyone for the replies! we leave the day after tomorrow, so excited!!

booked a lunch at Ariel's grotto. we loved it last time. it should be in the 70s on that day so it will be nice to sit outside...

and turns out we didn't book a stroller after all (oops), but i think we should be ok...DS is almost 6, and DD is 4.5, so i think they should be old enough to walk. i think it may make weaving thru crowds easier

thanks for the tips on Small World...i'm looking forward mostly to seeing the lights on that one after seeing photos online. Last time we went (last year) it was closed so we didn't get to see it at all.

Also will make sure to see the Haunted Mansion...last time didn't see that either as i think they were too young for it. the kids are still amped up from Halloween so have been asking about it.

and yeah, i'm sure Saturday will be crazy crowded. our plane gets in around noon on Sat, so we plan on just hanging out at hotel mostly, going to downtown disney and maybe trying to go on one ride and then seeing fireworks that evening.

hmm, didn't know about this..so it just closes when it gets too crowded??

thanks again, so excited!
    Yep, it just closes. We were there for the week before Easter a few years ago and all of the parks hit capacity and turned people away or something like that. We got into the park right before it closed so I don't know what happens if you miss it.

ckso is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Don't forget to check out the 60th anniversary celebration like paint the nite/fireworks etc. it's amazing!!!

Also some Star Wars stuff are out already. If you have a Disney chase card, you get exclusive Star Wars meet and greet!!! I heard space mountain will be Star Wars themed too

We're going next Wednesday too so hopefully it's not too crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast