Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Are teacher gifts still a thing in Middle School?

He has 4 teachers. Are teacher gifts still done in Middle School or just at end of the year? We do Target gc so I'm not overly concerned about finding the right gift, just whether I should.

eta: I should have posted in the tween section - sorry! Can a mod move for me?
    Last edited by rlu; 11-03-2015 at 07:58 PM.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My IL were both middle school teachers-retired last year. They did get gifts, from a small number of students each year. I would say, if your child has a special connection to the teacher, for sure. If you want to do something for all 4, something simple,like $5 to Starbucks or DD for a coffee.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We go to a k-8 school so we still buy for them. I can see not doing it if they transitioned to a traditional middle school.

No. I have not given gifts to MS teachers. I have given guidance counselor if they were helpful with issues as my kids have had 504s.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

My DD got her favorite teachers (music and Spanish) inexpensive but yummy holiday chocolates at TJ's last year, and gave them $5 Starbucks GCs at the end of the year. I don't think any teacher gift is ever required (and I say that AS a teacher), but it's always nice to be thought of during the holidays. It made DD happy to give them something.
    Green Tea, mom to three

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfowife View Post
    My IL were both middle school teachers-retired last year. They did get gifts, from a small number of students each year. I would say, if your child has a special connection to the teacher, for sure. If you want to do something for all 4, something simple,like $5 to Starbucks or DD for a coffee.
    The MS teachers I know do receive some gifts and appreciate them. Sometimes just a card with a heartfelt message from a student (a thank you or sharing a happy memory from class) is given and those are always appreciated.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

It is very common at our school.

bigsis is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Last year, when my DD was in 6th grade her core teachers received a lot of gifts for Christmas. Her PE teacher only received 1 gift which was from DD. I will continue to give small gifts for her teachers. My DD likes giving.
    Lea

Mom to:
    DD 8/2003
    DS 11/2005

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Last year we gave DS1's 6th grade teachers a tin of cookies and a small gift card to Coldstone Creamery. I would assume doing something similar this year.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

Quote Originally Posted by kdeunc View Post
    Last year we gave DS1's 6th grade teachers a tin of cookies and a small gift card to Coldstone Creamery. I would assume doing something similar this year.
    Oh, ice cream is a great idea! As a non-coffee drinker, the thought of starbucks gift cards always seems unexciting, but local ice cream places is a great idea for a small gift card!!! Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast