Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

How do we feel about actual workout leggings? I know this is the teen forum, but after I hit the gym is when I can get to the grocery store. My butt is not really covered. I admit to feeling a bit weird about wearing them in "public".

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bcafe View Post
    How do we feel about actual workout leggings? I know this is the teen forum, but after I hit the gym is when I can get to the grocery store. My butt is not really covered. I admit to feeling a bit weird about wearing them in "public".
    I try to make sure I'm covered. I have a handful of long sleeve and short sleeve tops I can throw over my tank top post workout that are long enough. I don't worry a ton if I can't always do that bc my workout leggings are thick and don't pull in any way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    And that's just the kind of comment that drives me crazy. If my son is distracted because some girls thong is showing much he needs to cope with it. It's not like it stops when they get out of their teens! I expect my son to learn how to cope, not ogle, and realize that his reaction to this situation is under his control. Because to give any other message to my son is basically say "you can't control yourself." If I found my son dropping pencils for some girl to pick up I would tell him he is being an asshole.

Besides, my husband will testify you don't need them half naked to be distracted. So he in no way blames girls for his "distractness". He feels like it was a phase he needed to go though to learn how to deal with it. All my male friends who I think are good to women pretty much feel the same way. Curiously enough the ones that go on about the way women dress don't treat the women in their life well. Go figure.
    Amen!! I agree 100%. It is not my job, or my dd's responsibility, to help boys cope with their puberty and hormones. Sorry, but PP's comment about dropping pencils reminded me of the 1950s Catholic School stories my mother relayed that girls were not allowed to wear patent leather shoes because they "reflect up" I.e could mirror underwear.

This is 2016.
    Last edited by daisysmom; 01-10-2016 at 10:03 PM.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Amen, dogmom!

for Sandy Hook

TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    I would argue that it's inappropriate for boys to wear shorts that short to school, just as it is for girls. I really think parents are making this a gender thing when it's not - and not just on the boards but in my area/facebook feed. I stand by my original thought. Boys and girls need to dress appropriately for the situation at hand. Appropriate may include longer shorts and tank tops with thicker straps. I see so many girls who dress inappropriately for their body type - as parents, we need to teach girls AND boys what to wear when.
    I agree x1000, and also with TwinFoxes that I just don't like the look of leggings and t-shirts. I don't think it looks good. I do think it looks sloppy. Kids do need to learn how to dress for the situation. We see this problem with medical students all the time, but more often the female medical students than the male students, since there is a greater range in what the women can wear. At least 20% of the female medical students just don't get the idea of dressing to fit a situation. So instead of having had that covered in grade school, junior high, or high school, they now get called out on it when they are 24+ years old.
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013
    And expecting DS1 10/2016

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Please take a look at this (warning: NSFW language):
    "Here's a New Chart on Getting a Bikini Body that Every Woman Needs to See"

Yep.
    Seriously couldn't disagree more. A 200 pound female 8th grader cannot wear short shorts and a tiny tank top in size 6 to school or elsewhere, notwithstanding any girl power ideologies we are trying to impart on our girls. A 100 pound female 8th grader cannot wear that same outfit to school either. This is not because boys would see too much t&a, or its distracting to boys. It's just not appropriate school attire.

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Seriously couldn't disagree more. A 200 pound female 8th grader cannot wear short shorts and a tiny tank top in size 6 to school or elsewhere, notwithstanding any girl power ideologies we are trying to impart on our girls. A 100 pound female 8th grader cannot wear that same outfit to school either. This is not because boys would see too much t&a, or its distracting to boys. It's just not appropriate school attire.

This is what I'm trying to say but my thoughts didn't come out as clearly as yours.

My daughter doesn't wear a short shirt with a thong and leggings to school because it's not appropriate school clothes. Not because I think it will
    be distracting for boys. My daughter wears what we think are appropriate clothes.

My own opinion: I still think the thong/leggings are distracting for boys. But I also think the sagging blue jeans and boxers showing that boys
    wear are distracting.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Quote Originally Posted by Corie View Post
    This is what I'm trying to say but my thoughts didn't come out as clearly as yours.

My daughter doesn't wear a short shirt with a thong and leggings to school because it's not appropriate school clothes. Not because I think it will
    be distracting for boys. My daughter wears what we think are appropriate clothes.

My own opinion: I still think the thong/leggings are distracting for boys. But I also think the sagging blue jeans and boxers showing that boys
    wear are distracting.
    I completely agree. I am a fairly sensible 33 year old woman and both of these scenarios are distracting to me. Not because of anything sexual, but in an "OMG I can't believe he/she is wearing that, what was he/she thinking" way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't disagree that a school rule like "no short shorts" or "no tank tops" is fine. I don't have any problem with a school drawing lines for what they consider professional clothing, and I would not let my DD wear cut offs to school or a tank top (other than on an outside day, like a field day). But leggings... IMO they have the same coverage as jeans. They come to a place below the waist (such as low rise jeans) and go to the calf or ankle. They completely cover the skin.

The argument that I detest in the real world, is that people don't like leggings on overweight girls. They don't like seeing every bump or roll on her bottom or hips or thighs. They would rather those areas be covered in jeans (tight as they may be) or other pants. Or they think that a boy will imagine more nakedness underneath tighter leggings than underneath tight jeans. To me, that is ludicrious. If a school doesn't have a rule against the tightness or thin-ness of other pants, they shouldn't have one against leggings.

This thread has really been enlightening to me, as I now have no issue with my 9 year old DD wearing leggings to school!

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TxCat View Post
    I agree x1000, and also with TwinFoxes that I just don't like the look of leggings and t-shirts. I don't think it looks good. I do think it looks sloppy. Kids do need to learn how to dress for the situation. We see this problem with medical students all the time, but more often the female medical students than the male students, since there is a greater range in what the women can wear. At least 20% of the female medical students just don't get the idea of dressing to fit a situation. So instead of having had that covered in grade school, junior high, or high school, they now get called out on it when they are 24+ years old.
    I completely agree with this. For the last couple of years, I have served as a juror in a mock trial for high school students. The boys wear suits and ties. Most of the girls, however, wear extremely short, tight skirts. I don't even know how they can bend over without showing everything. No idea how they think that is "business attire."
    DS age 9

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast