Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
    Well, that particular argument wouldn't work for me because my girls have been wearing leggings as pants for forever. They have just fit incredibly loose until recently, so to me, it's like yoga pants (mine are pretty loose fitting). What I tell them is, once the leggings are tight they can only be worn under a skirt or dress, because no one wants to see your underwear through your leggings. They are pretty sensitive about the underwear thing so that they get. It's hard though because none of them like jeans. DD1 is finally wearing some HMD jeans because they are loose fitting and have cool embroidery on the legs. The issue with jeans I think is that they are more constricting and my kids like to do stunts on the monkey bars, and so they're clothes can't get in the way at all. DD2 has one pair of jeans but I she only wears them once in a while.
    My DD hates regular jeans, too, but have you ever tried the Crazy 8 "crazy soft" ones? DD has a pair that she loves because they don't even feel like denim. Hers are a lighter medium wash so I'm not sure if they are all that way or if some washes are more rough, but I definitely recommend checking them out. They run pretty large so even tho they are "skinny" jeans, they won't fit skinny of your DD is small framed.

http://search.crazy8.com/search?bmFo...7c694afa0dba56

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    I'd buy her a bunch of longer tops/tunics. Make it so there's really no excuse.

I hate leggings with T-shirts. It's not attractive to me. Thigh length shirts, sure, but regular length tees, just no.
    Agree with this. Dd wears a uniform to school, which is all girls anyway, so not as much an issue to us. But we do have battles about when athletic wear or leggings aren't appropriate but I think it is my obligation as a parent to teach her there are times when sloppy but comfortable is not appropriate just as overly sexually provocative isn't appropriate. Just as big a battle to get rid of the lulemon headbands and ponytail for school pictures.

Also don't agree this is just a girl issue. Plenty of battles with my son as to when he can't wear the long shorts and t shirt, and has to change into khakis and a polo shirt, or for special occasions, a blazer.
    Last edited by westwoodmom04; 12-12-2015 at 12:05 PM.

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Target has a bunch of cozy pants that are "jogger" style with elastic at the ankle. DD knows she can wear those with a t-shirt, and that's helped. We also have the long-shirt rule for leggings and I've learned to make sure we buy coordinated pieces - say two pants and three tops that can mix and match- to make it easier for her to pick out an outfit.

One thing I try to keep in mind is that my DDs are making these choices because they are active on the playground and at PE and want to be comfortable. From their POV leggings are a better choice than a skirt or jeans. I like that they are more concerned with being physically active, not attractive. I try to own it with them that *I* prefer the long top over leggings look, and appreciate them humoring me!

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by calebsmama03 View Post
    My DD hates regular jeans, too, but have you ever tried the Crazy 8 "crazy soft" ones? DD has a pair that she loves because they don't even feel like denim. Hers are a lighter medium wash so I'm not sure if they are all that way or if some washes are more rough, but I definitely recommend checking them out. They run pretty large so even tho they are "skinny" jeans, they won't fit skinny of your DD is small framed.

http://search.crazy8.com/search?bmFo...7c694afa0dba56
    I haven't heard of them but I will check them out. One problem is that dd2 and 3 are not super skinny like dd1, they are closer to medium build and pretty solid, so leggings that are the right length are pretty fitted. That's one reason I avoid jeggings. Dd3 is super picky about the way clothes feel. Too loose can also be a perform because it bunches and binds. And for thick material like denim it just really bugs.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    Agree with this. Dd wears a uniform to school, which is all girls anyway, so not as much an issue to us. But we do have battles about when athletic wear or leggings aren't appropriate but I think it is my obligation as a parent to teach her there are times when sloppy but comfortable is not appropriate just as overly sexually provocative isn't appropriate. Just as big a battle to get rid of the lulemon headbands and ponytail for school pictures.

Also don't agree this is just a girl issue. Plenty of battles with my son as to when he can't wear the long shorts and t shirt, and has to change into khakis and a polo shirt, or for special occasions, a blazer.
    Yes and No on whether is a girl/boy issue. Sure, I've had battles with my son about appropriateness of his clothing, his pants that don't cover his ankle, shorts on a 32 degree day, and he's 12. But I never had a discussion involving other adults about the sexual appropriateness of his dress, but I've already had my fill about my 9 yo daughter. I'm particularly bothered by the double standard that school dress codes have, because you know, it's the girls fault if the boys can't learn to not stare.

So for my DD I draw the line at, "those leggings are too small for you now, I'm getting rid of them, here's a new pair that fits you." Which is exactly the same thing I do for his son.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    I'm particularly bothered by the double standard that school dress codes have, because you know, it's the girls fault if the boys can't learn to not stare.

So for my DD I draw the line at, "those leggings are too small for you now, I'm getting rid of them, here's a new pair that fits you." Which is exactly the same thing I do for his son.
    I would argue that it's inappropriate for boys to wear shorts that short to school, just as it is for girls. I really think parents are making this a gender thing when it's not - and not just on the boards but in my area/facebook feed. I stand by my original thought. Boys and girls need to dress appropriately for the situation at hand. Appropriate may include longer shorts and tank tops with thicker straps. I see so many girls who dress inappropriately for their body type - as parents, we need to teach girls AND boys what to wear when.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    I would argue that it's inappropriate for boys to wear shorts that short to school, just as it is for girls. I really think parents are making this a gender thing when it's not - and not just on the boards but in my area/facebook feed. I stand by my original thought. Boys and girls need to dress appropriately for the situation at hand. Appropriate may include longer shorts and tank tops with thicker straps. I see so many girls who dress inappropriately for their body type - as parents, we need to teach girls AND boys what to wear when.
    Ummm....I'm really hoping I'm unclear on what you mean "I see so many girls who dress inappropriately for their body type", because what I'm thinking is sort of offensive.

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thought of this thread this morning when my first grader came out of her room in leggings and regular shirt.
    Me: "Hmmm... Is that your outfit for school today?"
    Her, very seriously: "Oh, don't worry. This isn't all I'm going to wear."
    She went back into her room. When she came out, she was also wearing... large socks.

How could I resist that? She got to wear the outfit she picked out to school.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Ha!

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    Yes and No on whether is a girl/boy issue. Sure, I've had battles with my son about appropriateness of his clothing, his pants that don't cover his ankle, shorts on a 32 degree day, and he's 12. But I never had a discussion involving other adults about the sexual appropriateness of his dress, but I've already had my fill about my 9 yo daughter. I'm particularly bothered by the double standard that school dress codes have, because you know, it's the girls fault if the boys can't learn to not stare.

I would say boys wearing tight spandex to school would be inappropriate for similar reasons that the leggings can be inappropriate, it's just not a trend right now.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast