sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Favorite dishes (main or side) to make with kids for Thanksgiving or holiday?

I like to cook with our family's kids during the holidays. I'm looking for recipes that the kids would like making together.

I want to use this apple peeler for something, as I think they'd love it.
    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/820373/?catalogId=92&sku=820373&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat= Shopping&cm_pla=default&cm_ite=default&gclid=CjwKE AiAgvyxBRDmuviAj67g-XQSJABTLMcHUQO5DypmTG4SkoGh36U6q7LfM9fcYbdCtHBwd9x StxoC2lrw_wcB&kwid=productads-plaid^83090052583-sku^820373-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^45527544463#viewLargerHeroOverlay

Also maybe a pasta dish with the pasta attachment for the KitchenAid. I'll have access to my mother's amazing kitchen with a huge island and plenty of room. Kids are 5, 9, and 12, (plus my baby, but she will just be hanging out).

Do you all have favorite dishes for making with the kids?
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We use the apple peeler a ton each fall for pies and crockpot apple sauce. If you have a larger group you could make something like Smitten Kitchen's apple slab pie.

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DH has a 3-4 year tradition going of making apple pies with our kids for 4th of July and Thanksgiving. When he's baking with the kids, he always increases the recipe and overfills the pies with apples. They put in a team effort to balance on the apples and make the most outrageous amazing apple pie "ever." It's really fun listening to them giggling in the kitchen.

jenstring95 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My kids really enjoy helping with any type of cooking or baking. Every year for Thanksgiving they look forward to breaking (ripping) up bread for stuffing, hand mashing potatoes and sweet potatoes (even if I plan to use the mixer for them later), chopping celery, etc for stuffing (they especially love operating the mini chopper or food processor), peeling potatoes (until they get tired of it), and especially decorating desserts. They enjoy mixing and measuring and dumping and just helping in general. My DC are 8 and 10. They like to wear their aprons too (DS and DD).

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks everyone! These are such great ideas!
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015