Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mid Range stroller Recs? Update ? in OP

I am starting to wish I had a slightly nicer stroller. We have a Chicco Echo umbrella stroller which lives in the trunk of our car and is used for travel, mall, zoo, etc. We also have a Chicco Neuvo (umbrella fold compact travel system stroller) which stays open in the garage and is used most days for walks around the neighborhood and occasionally thrown in dh's trunk for the rare times we drive his car to the mall or similar.

DS is 20 months and we will likely have a second when he is 3-3.5. I am wanting a slightly nicer but not super expensive neighborhood walk stroller. Max budget is probably around $200. I don't mind used, but I am not impressed by our craigslist and haven't seen anything I was interested in at consignment sales, once upon a child, etc. It won't live in my car, but I do want it to fit relatively easily into the trunk of my Corolla. Mostly I want something comfy for DS with a little better push and a single handlebar. What should I be looking for? Any good places to look for deals?

Update: Is there a big difference between BJCM of different years? I am seeing some from 2010-2014 on Amazon and wondering if there is a good reason to pay more for a 2014 or 15 than for a 2010 or 12?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by gymnbomb; 11-09-2015 at 09:11 AM.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

BJCM. Off colors and some careful looking you can get under $200. I know I did. I bought from Albee baby online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just looking at that one. I can shop around and be flexible on color. I think we will go to the store and push a few around this week. Any others we should be considering?

DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Things I am seeing right now on Albee baby in my price range are BJCM, BJ Versa, Britax BAgile 3, and Chicco Activ3. I think the city mini and the BAgile are pretty similar? Don't know anything about the others.

DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Versa is reversible and much heavier but a lot of people like it. I think the fold on the BJCM is the easiest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I second the bjcm rec.

Re:used, I've had much better luck on our local fb resale groups than Craigslist.

jbbhb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Mid Range stroller Recs?

I've had tons of strollers and I LOVE my Versa. I wish I would have had it with the first two kids!

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jbbhb View Post
    I've had tons of strollers and I LOVE my Versa. I wish I would have had it with the first two kids!

What do you love about the Versa?
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

meljc is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

I have a 2011 BJCM, a Versa and a BJCMGTD (plus a POD, but who's counting).

There's a lot to love about our BJCM. It's light, has a great fold and can work from birth (with snuzzler) through the preschool years. However, now a few years in and sometimes with a 35lb rider the push isn't great. It gets you from A to B quite well, but the handling is "ok" - it gives us some issues on the tree roots and potholes that plague our sidewalks. The 2011 BJCM was the first to add a rigid backboard to the seat; previously the whole thing was like a hammock and lots of kids found it unsupportive as they got older. The 2012 or 2013 added a lock to keep the stroller folded. Weight is 17lbs - and an easy 17lbs! I once had to jump off of a train in Germany with several backpacks, a car seat and carrying the stroller by my pinky (no joke) and I survived. We still love it in some ways and took in on a recent 2+wk trip overseas due to it's easy, compact fold.

The Versa adds some neat features -- I *loved* having the reversible seat when #2 was tiny and I still like it for her at 1.5yo! The adjustable handlebar is an awesome addition and the basket is HUUUUUUGE. When we brought the Versa overseas, we fit DD's keyfit in the basket AND managed to put some small items in the keyfit seat. The push is really nice. However, it just doesn't have the great quality control I expect from Baby Jogger. The fold is wonky on ours (not a deal-breaker since it's usually open and ready in our foyer) and the original basket sank so low that it tore on the bottom from rubbing the sidewalk when loaded (and even rubbed a hole in our camera case!). The canopy also pops off on one side sometimes. And the weight difference is noticeable between the BJCM and the Versa, which is compounded by the different fold mechanism. And my husband STILL can't figure out how to fold it. Part of the reason I bought the Versa is that supposedly you can use the Uppa rumble seat, but the rumble seat I got wouldn't fit properly. Boo. Failing that, I got the BJ glider board. I don't recommend that model, but a different glider board is probably great on there and the handle bar design leaves lots of room for a preschool rider. My son can also hitch a ride in the footwell sometimes (worked better when my daughter was a newborn!). Speaking of nb, the seat isn't shaped right for a newborn. I used the Combi Coccoro insert to fit that, or you could buy the uppa snug seat. I'm not a fan of using the car seat all the time so I wouldn't recommend that, but BJ sells a bassinet or you could buy the britax adapters and britax bassinet. $210 from Albee. Weight is 24lbs.

The BJCMGTD is just a fabulous double. Really. It has the awesome handlebar like the Versa, it has suspension on the wheels so the push is amazing, a decent basket, and the easy BJ fold mechanism. It's the luxury 3-row SUV for sure! We haven't tried the BJCMGT (single) but my SIL has it and loves it. Single is $280 with coupon from Albee. You can also add a bassinet, though that obviously adds to the cost. Weight is 21lbs.

Sorry that was so long. If I wanted a "one and only" single I would be tempted by the BJCMGT, though the Versa offers more flexibility if you need it. I would be choosing between those two, as they both represent big improvements over the venerable and beloved BJCM.

jbbhb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    What do you love about the Versa?
    The PP summed it up pretty well but I love the reversibility of the seat, the huge basket, and the push is great. I do have the upgraded gt tires which improves the push. I think the fold is easy and quick, we haven't had any quality control issues.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast