missym is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Default Grrr common core math!

DD2 is doing long division. She gets it. She can do most of it in her head but they still want to see every step. Silly but ok.

On today's worksheet, she is required to solve the problem, show her work AND explain it in words. How do you do that? Um, "I divided this by that and got the answer?" I don't get the explaining part.

It also makes me crazy that she can get the answer correct and still be counted wrong if she uses a different method to solve the problem.
    Missy
    Mom to DD1 '03 and DD2 '05

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by missym View Post
    AND explain it in words. How do you do that? Um, "I divided this by that and got the answer?" I don't get the explaining part.

Okay, that is just crazy!!!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

When I help my DD with her math this question drives me crazy! I actually told her once to write it's math there's no explanation it just IS! Why should you have to explain why you are adding, subtracting, etc, it makes no sense!
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DS2 got this sort of homework. Bunch of empty boxes and you were supposed to know how to "solve" it and then write HOW you solved it. There were NO numbers on the paper.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

DS writes a four-paragraph essay each week describing how he solved a given math problem. The four paragraphs have certain requirements to guide him.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.