lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Covers for Small Kitchen Appliances - Am I Insane?

This is kind of a relic from a former age, but due to the way the cabinets and closets are configured in our house, DH and I added three IKEA bedside tables to our kitchen - they fit precisely under the overhang of our kitchen "island" and allow us to store cookbooks, recipe collections in magazine holders, and various (frequently used) small appliances.

I'm looking to store my large food processor, blender, and a smaller food processor on these shelves because, once I take down the box from my large food processor, there's exactly enough room for all of these things. And keeping them in sight means I'll use them more often.

BUT ... things that are exposed inevitably get dusty. I rigged two 2.5-gallon size zip-top bags to protect my stand mixer (stored on these shelves) and find this works well for me.

I've started to browse small appliance covers, but wonder if this is extreme.

Am I insane to look into covers or should I just get large zip-top baggies instead?
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

budget determines here for me. I think matching covers could be nice and I wouldn't be running to remove them if guests came over, but then, most guests don't go into my kitchen. We have a tea-trolley at the end of our counter, but that's where we keep our bottled water and DS's non-perishable lunch bag stuff.

Not quite related, I asked my sister to make me a keyboard cover for my set-up at work. I'm only in the office a few days a week and the dust coats the keyboard. Normally I'd have the company buy one, but they aren't plentiful, are ugly and cost $26 through OfficeMax/depot. She's making one using sport team material so it isn't too cutesy for the office. It's my Christmas present and I'm really rather excited about it.
    Last edited by rlu; 11-14-2015 at 06:18 PM.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Even though it seemed kind of retro and silly, I bought a cover for my Kitchenaid mixer (sort of like this: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/stor...r-cover/104049) and I've really been pleased with it. Mine is white and fairly unobtrusive, and definitely keeps the dust at bay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Even though it seemed kind of retro and silly, I bought a cover for my Kitchenaid mixer (sort of like this: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/stor...r-cover/104049) and I've really been pleased with it. Mine is white and fairly unobtrusive, and definitely keeps the dust at bay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I have one like that in red! Machine washable, holds the attachments. It's great.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.