DD1 got braces last week, and will likely have them for a bit over a year. She is apparently greatly embarrassed about having food stuck in her braces while/after eating, and about asking for a bathroom pass to go brush her teeth after eating (not that they give them a lot of time for that - I am rather unhappy about kids' ability to use the bathroom during the school day, esp as a mom of two girls). Her solutions so far are to take a very few things that are she can swallow with little or no chewing, or that don't tend to stick in the braces, and to wait to eat more until after school. So today she has some grapes and some tofu. Which really, really doesn't cut it for a kid who still needs to grow. I know that she is still getting used to having braces, but food is important - I don't want to let this slide.

How do your kids cope with braces and eating at school? Are there certain foods that they eat? Do they brush teeth at school? I'm sure the orthodontists would prefer it, but I'm not sure how often it actually happens.