Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Where to Take Outgrown Toys?

DD is 5. She has mounds, heaps, and buckets of toys that she's outgrown.

I want them out of the house, but feel squicky just tossing them. (Well, the less annoying ones anyway. I just threw away a bunch of stuff that makes noise because I can't tolerate it.)

I know that a lot of charities have stopped taking toys due to not being able to keep up with recalls and such, but is there ANYWHERE I can take toys (legally!) to donate or do I have to freecycle/Craigslist them if I want any credit for it?
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

When DS was at a small home daycare I brought toys in all the time. Now I give some to a co-worker with a young daughter and some to DS's preschool. The preschool teachers were thrilled to get more puzzles, blocks, little people etc.

Our local children's clothing consignment store also takes toys and games. Perhaps see if you have a store like that nearby? I love being able to get rid of toys we don't want, but then get cash or store credit to use on stuff the kids need.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our local thrift shops and common donation places continue to accept toys. If yours don't you might also look at selling them for next to nothing on local FB pages, donating to women's shelters, etc. I've also done porch/curb pickup if I'm close to trashing something. I'd love for things to at least get a little more life before hitting a landfill.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    Our local thrift shops and common donation places continue to accept toys. If yours don't you might also look at selling them for next to nothing on local FB pages, donating to women's shelters, etc. I've also done porch/curb pickup if I'm close to trashing something. I'd love for things to at least get a little more life before hitting a landfill.
    You're lucky - the ones near us do not.

I'll check with the women's shelters, though, because I can look at offloading some of my still-good-but-I'm-not-using-them things there, too.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Some ideas: churches, preschools, YMCA.

I also often just put stuff out on the curb and it is gone pretty quickly.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Here there are foster care places that take things so they can give out age appropriate toys to foster parents.
    Kris

The holidays is coming up, check into whether your DD school or church do the toy drive. I'm in the process of purging the toys that's no longer any use between my boys. Also donating some to the local pregnancy center too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Big Brothers/Big Sisters takes toys. We're lucky to have a drop off location in our town, but they do pick ups.

You could also post them for free/cheap on a local FB board. We have a few local boards, and I know I could post free toys for porch or driveway pickup and they'd be gone by the end of the day.

For larger toys, I can leave them curbside and someone will grab them within a day or two.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I give to smaller charities. If it's something really specific that may be ignored otherwise, I might Freecycle it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast