Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Almost no checking or help here. We have told him that as long as he does well (90%+), we are not going to micro-manage. This has been our attitude with all three from first homework on. If they have questions or see they are missing a major concept we are available. If they start to slip, we show them what they can do to learn it better and study for tests, but I am not going to spend hours on homework with them just to make sure they never miss a point.

For writing, our schools have started having virtually all witing and editing done at school to stop parents from being their childs' editor.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Meatball Mommie View Post
    I agree - because the hands off approach wouldn't work at all for my DS1. He'd end up failing all his classes because he wouldn't do any of the assignments.
    There is a difference though between making sure assignments are completed and checking to make sure every problem is correct or that they have a well-written paper. Ds3 need more checking that it is done and in his folder, but I'm still don't correct his work... I figure the teacher needs to know if he can do the work, not if his parents know the answers.

Also, in middle school here, homework is only 10-30% of their grade, depending on subject. In math, 90% of the grade is tests and quizzes.
    Last edited by o_mom; 11-21-2015 at 07:56 PM.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I try to stay out of the homework situation as much as possible. DC has executive function issues so we go through the planner together and figure out what needs to be done. I pull out any worksheets and put them in a pile while DC has a snack. Then I disappear to the other room. After DC finishes snack, she attacks the homework. I answer questions when asked and check for completion when she is done. Then I make sure it all goes back in the backpack. That's it. I NEVER sit with her unless she needs help with the math!

Growing up, my mother would sit with my sister EVERY day and help with her homework. She did this through high school. In college, my sister had very little confidence in her own work and would actually come home on weekends (college was 2 hours away) and my mother would help her with papers, research, homework, ect. As the younger sister, I resented the time my mother spent with my sister. Then when sister graduated from high school, mom tried to micromanage MY homework... It was not pretty.

By high school, these kids should be pretty independent.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3